We have already discussed all of this, Jim. Holding the lever over is not "retarding" the lever. It is in fact helping it. Besides, I worked with engineers and repairmen for 30 years. I would much rather take the repairman's word as to why he had to repair something than the engineer's who tries to tell you why it SHOULD work in his books..... Who makes the most dependable guns of all time? Probably Smith and Wesson. Go to your gun safes and take one out. Open it up. Watch the release button. Did you notice that when you push it forward, it stays forward? Why is that? Figure it out. Why do most people who open a Colt revolver pull the release button back and help the movement. For those of you who have Rugers and you pull the pin out to remove the cylinder, when you put it back together do you just shove the pin through? Or do you push the button in and help the movement? It works either way. But some people know which is easier on a gun. If you only shoot a gun a few boxes a year, closing them up probably won't do much damage. But if you shoot several rounds a year and you close it up without the lever, someone will be repairing it much sooner. I just like being more gentle with a gun because I know the metal is brittle and/or it will last longer if you are more gentle with them. But, to each his own. From now on if someone comes on here and asks which is the best way, I'll let you guys say what you want. But my guns will go longer (in secrecy) without repair. You can bet on that.