I think what may be at the root of most complaints is a lack of consistency on CSMC's part. The problem is, like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Folks just don't know what to think about them. Are they a world class high end firearms maker? If they are you'd tend to give them some leeway on delivery times and things of that nature, hey bespoke guns take time right? However you would give them no leeway at all on quality issues, after all they took all the time they needed right?

I don't suggest that this is the norm, but I was on a high dollar pheasant hunt with some folks and one fellow had his brand new Galazan Fox with him, it was gorgeous, no doubt. However the top lever broke off in his hand in the locker room on day one, and he had to use his backup for the rest of the trip. He handled it far better than I would have. I don't know how much he paid for it but I think it's fair to say it was a 20K gun at the least. A fluke? Maybe but it doesn't inspire confidence.

I had an RBL, it wasn't a bad gun, I moved it along because it just felt too fat in the wrist for me. That's personal preference and no fault of CSMC. I had some minor problems with it and never really got the assisted open to work, but I didn't really keep it long enough for a real proper break in.

I forgive any problems associated with the initial RBL launch, after all something like that hadn't been done before, there's plenty of kinks to work out. However what annoyed me was that as they kept introducing guns they were always way behind on their time estimates. I refuse to believe at that stage of the game you couldn't have given people good answers about delivery times.

I talked to Lou at the Vintagers when they were taking orders for the 28 gauge RBL. He told my buddy some ridiculous time frame for delivery that I know couldn't be accurate because they hadn't even caught up on their current RBL orders. That to me smacks of deception to secure deposits and nothing else. I didn't want to cause a scene so I let it slide knowing that my buddy wasn't going to order one anyway.

Seeing pictures of some of the first A10's coming in showed more of the same. They first one I saw pics of was stunning, phenomenal wood, fit & finish. The next one was of an A10 with a finish so bad it look like they let it dry in the box on the way to the customer. The next one with a gap in the forend you could stick your pinky in. How does that happen?

Did they fix the above problems? I don't know I'm sure they probably did. Is that the point? No, we're not talking about a busted spring or firing pin, we're talking about basic quality control. I very much get the sense that if they push three guns out that aren't quite up to par and only one comes back they're ahead of the curve.

I don't question their capability to make outstanding firearms, I question their commitment to doing it right the first time.

Last edited by Glocksig; 08/18/11 08:54 AM.