Originally Posted By: John Roberts
An RBL is just as good as a Win. 21, so no waste of wood on Shin's two guns.
JR

About 8 years ago I sent my post-war 16 ga. M-21 to CSMC for stock alterations and rebluing. I worked with a guy named Todd, and had a really bad experience. After multiple returns to fix something newly messed up from each previous time they had it, I ended up sending it to Andy W., who did a very nice job making the gun right. That's old news ... I was really unhappy but it didn't stop me from looking at the RBL. I cancelled an order for a 20 because of nervousness over their inconsistent startup qualty, but eventually ordered a 16.

I REALLY like it, very nice 2X wood, fine wood to metal fit, and I got lucky to get one with virtually no drop between comb nose and heel. I didn't ask for this, asked to have it bent and it was already where I like it. I sent the gun back to correct a very sticky bolt, and to ask if they could replace the forend with one that better matched the buttstock. Adam gave me a great new forend, and they replaced the bolt. Really nice service.

Unfortunately, the new bolt and their lavish application of grease to the bites didn't fix the stickiness. It always catches a bit, and often sticks so tight that it hurts my thumb to break it free -- especially when the action's been closed for a while. The thumb bruising is from the toplever flange being very small.

Here's what Adam replied when I told him.
--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 9:01 AM
To: Gramith, Jay (Legal)
Subject: RE: Attn. Adam - followup on RBL 16 returned for service

Dear Jay:

It usually takes 200 hundred or so rounds for the locking to be broken in. It needs the recoil to set the bolt. It can be filed in but this takes years off of the locking that is not good for the gun. Give it a little time and then let me know how it feels.

Adam
-------------------------------------------------
I don't shoot clays except for pre-hunting season practice, and still don't have 200 rounds through this gun. The sticking can be really annoying, but hasn't been too bad when I'm shooting, so I'm waiting it out. Does anyone have an informed opinion about what I should do?

But ... the reason I wrote all this: if the bolt were to get sticky on my 21, I'd just back the bolt set screw out about a quarter turn - problem solved.

Jay