September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, buckstix, azgreg, 375whelenIMP, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,879
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi Guys,
What type of snap cap is recommended for off season storage?
There are 3 types I know of:
- Plastic
- Aluminum
- Brass w/ wool insert

What I'm looking for is what type of material will not interact with the barrel. ie: will aluminum corrode? Will wool begin to rot? etc.
Thanks for the help!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used plastic and aluminum I don't care to much for the plastic therefore I use aluminum, no problems so far with zoom caps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For ejector guns, I use the plastic ones as I sometimes store them uncocked. For the others mostly Zoom caps.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if this may help, but I don't leave a snap cap in my gun. I use them to relax the hammer spring and then dismount the barrels and remove the caps. I then remount the barrels after cleaning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been very satisfied with the A-Zoom brand aluminum snap caps for my SxS and O/U shotguns. Earlier on I had plastic snap caps, but they invariably ended up sprung or broken.
As a personal safety practice - I only keep and use my snap caps in my house. Whenever my guns leave the house, the snap caps STAY IN THE HOUSE. Whenever my guns are in vehicle transit or being used at the range or in the field, ALL ammo is LIVE. That way, I'll never have an accidental discharge in the club house or in the field, mistaking live ammo for snap caps in a distracted moment.
And I never have snap caps and live ammo on my workbench at home at the same time.
This has worked for me,....so far, anyway.

Last edited by Ian Nixon; 08/19/11 01:39 PM. Reason: addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question for the group: I've heard it suggested that the A-Zoom caps (which I like) are a good choice because they have a plastic insert for the primer. Other brands have metal primer inserts. If you whack those metal primers (obviously harder than real primers) enough times, is there any concern about breaking strikers? I spoke with one professional in the gun business who reported some striker breakage in good quality Spanish doubles, which he put down to snappies with metal primers. Comments??

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only use them in my sidelock to let the tension off the locks....I've been using the brass ones with the wool mops made by Beretta. I keep the mops treated with Ezzox.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont use snap caps. There is still considerable tension on the springs in the fired position. I dont take the load off the top lever spring or the ejector springs or the sear springs or the safety spring or the 4 end spring and I dont jack up my truck or boat trailer when Im not using it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A-zooms. Don't waste your money on the plastic ones. The brass ones are cool but expensive.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't remember... Can you snap the hammers on a LC Smith with ejectors then, remove barrels [to remove caps] and replace barrels w/o resetting cocking arms on the action?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.