775 - Yes I do know the gentleman of which you speak. I'm rather fond of him so I with held further incriminating him for his terrible, self inflicted damascus maiming.

One thing that people are alluding to in this thread is "color coding" and other methods of marking their loads for vintage guns.

I suggest going to one level further of extreme "shell hygiene": I do not own cartridges that are not 2.5". I found that bought in bulk, I can use B&P low pressure 2.5" shells for exactly the same price as any other case priced modern ammo and frankly, the B&Ps are better. Why chance it? I just refuse to own any modern high pressure 12 bore ammo so I know I'm never going to have an accident. (or for that matter, break a wrist on a fine gunstock due to heavy recoil)

I came to the above conclusion after shooting my modern fine Spanish sidelock using bismuth shells that were hot loads. (not reloads) After discharge, the gun took some amount of work in the field to get it to open and eject. It made me realize just how hot those loads really were. Funny thing, I didn't do any better with the hotrod loads in bismuth or steel than I did with the light 2.5" loads for dropping pheasants at 40 yards. A great pattern and a square load (no shot stringing) seems to be more valuable than the extra shot and speed that modern loads provide.

I'll keep it vintage and safe for all my guns.