If you live in a real person state, a C&R probably makes sense, but if you live a a phoney baloney state such as California, as I do, probably not. The C&R does not exempt you from any of the California interstate transfer requirements, i.e. 10 day wait restrictions, unless you get a Certificate of Eligibility, but it costs about $70 for a annual license while the C&R is $30 for 2 years. If you buy enough interstate than the Certificate makes sense. The good part is that you can buy on the gun auctions and have it sent to your home without the usual crapolla. That being said I have bought one gun using the C&R, it was a Lefever junker that I parted out (only gun on which I actually made any money).However, I was left with the quandary of disposing of the stripped receiver. I requested assistance from ATF and the destruction requirements were ominous. So I found a collector who would take it off my hands. My single log entry was a wash.

By the way, ATF sends you a heavy stock card log for use in lieu of a bound book.

I have renewed my license,but it is more of a novelty now.