One of the problems with using old data is our assumptions. We assume that manufacturers 100+ years ago produced consistent powder from run to run. In fact, the proof houses knew very well that they did not. They had special gauges to measure the pressure of each lot and adjust their proof loads accordingly.

While I found that long series of posts on Shotworld interesting, I also thought it just a rehash of numerous posts made here over the years.

When Google Books first reared it's head, I along with many others started "mining" it. I eventually came to realize that people 100+ years ago had just as many axes to grind as we do today. It is a mistake to quote this old information without a critical view of it.

A good example of this are the old English proof house tests. The test was skewed to show that only England produced the finest barrels. It was done about 15 years before the English stopped all production of damascus. This was during a period when they simply could not compete in the international trade. Indeed, they had been losing that market for some time. The proof house was protecting it's own in this case. To this, I find no fault. We simply need to understand the situation of the day.

Pete

Last edited by PeteM; 09/15/11 11:00 AM.