Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: GLS

Left-handed shooter's trigger finger has to stretch towards muzzle and then to the far right to shoot the right barrel on conventional layout of double triggers. If the finger slips off, the left barrel's trigger is easier to hit with the finger because rear trigger is on left side of gun and more exposed because of offset to the left. All this can be compounded by sweaty trigger finger on a hot day and not reaching quite far enough with trigger finger.
Right-handed shooter less likely to do the same. Nothing against you left handers. wink

I am a left handed shooter and that explanation makes no sense to me at all......

I'm also left handed. I remember when I first really got into SxS's...we were sitting around the gun club talking shotguns and I remarked that from the looks of the double trigger layout they were designed perfectly for a left handed shooter.

It was quickly explained to me that it was just the opposite. Being hard headed it took some further explaining why they were designed like they were. It was explained they were set up like they are to keep your finger from sweeping the rear trigger should it come off the front trigger. Considering the mans expertise it made perfect sense to me.
I usually shoot skeet with about 6 or 7 guys and there was always time for the barrels to cool. Later that very day I went down to the five stand....it was very hot and I had forgotten my hand guard after a few shots my gun started doubling. I remarked to the fellow I was shooting with that I needed to get my gun looked at...he said there's nothing wrong with your gun remember what we just talked about ?

Hot barrels, causing a loose hold combined with being left handed caused my trigger finger under recoil to sweep back and hit the rear trigger that by design could never happen to a right handed shooter.
I had it happen another time when I shot a turkey with my 10 ga. The turkey came in....went behind a tree I picked up had a relaxed 'loose hold' on the hammer gun and touched the front trigger both barrels let off....250 grains of black powder felt like a car wreck.

From now on I shoot the rear trigger first turkey hunting.