September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (MattH, Vol423, NCTarheel, AGS, 1 invisible), 222 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,897
Posts550,565
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

G&H had a 16 gauge Diamond Grade Daly (presumed to be made by Lindner) for quite a while at $10,000 asking. I hope this is not the gun in question. Refund is the only alternative. A sleeved Lindner is not an attractive gun on the collector market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I looked at a double 12 bore at G&H recently and requested that they measure wall thickness for me. Right barrel showed 014" about midway along. That was too thin for me, I put it back on the rack. I was actually a little surprised that it was for sale. A potential lawsuit, but what do I know?
nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nialmac
Well I looked at a double 12 bore at G&H recently and requested that they measure wall thickness for me. Right barrel showed 014" about midway along. That was too thin for me, I put it back on the rack. I was actually a little surprised that it was for sale. A potential lawsuit, but what do I know?
nial

You know more than they do. Geez .014 is less than card stock.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The good news is that this gentleman will probably put good money after bad and will have the gun properly teague lined. It'll then be so dreadfully underwater that he'll own it and shoot it the rest of his natural life.

Apart from the loss of cash, it actually doesn't sound so bad. Epic quality fully restored gun with modern barrels that are invisible to the eye?

What's another $3800 anyway?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still wonder whether we are talking about the $10,000 Lindner that was at Griffin and Howe for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I still wonder whether we are talking about the $10,000 Lindner that was at Griffin and Howe for years."

If it is you can not tell me that they do not have the means to measure barrel wall thickness. They must have measured the gun and still thought it sell-able as is. If they did not measure the gun that says even more. That gun had been extensively restored and the barrels should have been checked for wall thickness. They did have that gun for years and I always suspected there was some reason for it. It was/is a very nice looking gun but priced at the max..

We all assume those tutonic guns are built like a rusian hooker. Stout as heck, thick as hell and hard a nails. But this gun had been made slim, trim and very light. The barrels were finished to keep the weight down not handle like a boat oar. Refinishing and then honing pits may have made it thinner that normal for a gun of this era.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if it is the same gun or not but from what I gather of the story is that before the present owner bought it, it had not been honed out . To me that would indicate the barrels wouldn't have been that thin while it was on the shelf for sale. At the time of purchase it appears the owner noticed pitting and had the dealer remove the pitting. This was when the metal was removed. It sounds like the dealer did measure it because the buyer was told it is within acceptable limits after the honing but it sounds like he wasn't given specific measurements from the dealer. If he was given specific measurements from the dealer, then one questions why the buyer would have completed the deal. If they did not measure it , then they just took a guess at telling him it was acceptable which is very poor business practice. So, was the buyer told the actual measurements at the time of sale?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The exact wording in the post was "had their gunsmith polish the barrels". Sounds like Griffin and Howe did the honing. Refund.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hoop Stress in a thin-walled cylndrical pressure vessel, i.e. this shotgun barrel, is given by:

Hoop Stress = (Radius / Wall Thickness ) times Internal Pressure

Assuming a Nominal Pressure at 9 inches from the breech of 5,000 psi (Only actual measured data would tell us what it really is), we can estimate the Hoop Stress in this barrel.

Estimated Hoop Stress = (0.331 / 0.018) 5,000 = 92,000 psi

Lacking firm data on barrel steel strength and fatigue properties, Yield and Ultimate Strength, Endurance Limit, Fracture Toughness, possible pre-existing internal flaws, etc., I would certainly not be willing to fire it, especially on a regularly repeated basis, at anywhere near this stress level.

Just because it did not burst during several hundred rounds so far, does not mean that it will not burst on the next one, or many thousands of rounds later. Fatigue failures in steel can occur after up to more than a million cycles of loading, with the load necessary to cause failure going down progressively as the number of loading cycles increases. They are typically sudden, complete, and sometimes catastrophic.

Last edited by vangulil; 09/21/11 09:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

G&H is going to be at the Vintage Cup event. If I were you I would go there and have them look at the gun and see what can be done about your problem. In person is the best way to deal with this type of problem if possible. If they did remove the pits and by doing so make the barrel dangerously thin they may want to get the gun back before anyone is hurt. G&H has been around for many years and has no interest in taking chances for a few dollars.

Perhaps they truly did not know how thin the barrels were when they sold it. If I were them and later found out that work I had done caused a potential time bomb to be created I would rather take the gun back or offer to have the gun barrel lined than turn my back on the issue and hope for the best. Take a drive and go right to the source.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.