I just put a coat of Tung Oil on my current stock project last night. This is the second layer. (One layer the night before). I just want to reinforce that it did take about 2 drops for each side of the stock. I never understood how so little could go such a long way, but following the sage advice of others here, I'm learning. Part of the key this time seems to be that the grain was really filled on this stock, whereas in the past I may have thought it was filled well but the amount of Tung Oil needed proved otherwise. Now a drop and I cover half of one side of the stock, and again this was only the second layer... I used multiple coats of Behlen Blood Red prior to the Tung Oil and had filled the grain with stain and wet sanding prior to the Behlen Blood Red applications, which I am not ashamed to say totalled about 12 or 13 (I did lose count)... I am assuming the next layers will require just ONE drop per side of the stock.

This stock refinish project on a rolling block is taking shape to be looking like it came out of 1878 era... It's a stock look I like alot.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality