I have a chance to buy one at a decent price. It is a fully engraved 3 1/2 inch 10 gauge SXS that looks like it was never hunted. However the wood is extremely dry as if it spent its' life in close proximity to a source of dry heat. I've read that these were made by Victor Sarasqueta for Stoeger in the 50's or 60's. Sidelock in appearance, although I do not know if they are truly a sidelock or just false sideplates. The engraving is not top shelf by any means but appears hand done.

Anyway, I had a Pride of Spain 10 gauge that I used primarity to test experimental loads that I was developing for my W&C Scott SXS Hammergun from the 1870's. I just wanted to reduce the wear and tear on the Scott while I was perfecting my handrolling and load formulations (I was using Sherman Bells list of light loads). I liked the ergonomics of the gun enough but hated the quality. It had issues with the lifters and difficulty opening after a few shots warmed it up that I attributed to "Soft Spanish Steel". I sent it down the road after a while.

So, is the Stoeger Zephyr any better made? Or can I expect the the high probability that I would have the same frustration that I had with the Pride of Spain? Should I just wait for a Beretta Silver Hawk to come along if I have to have a SXS?

Any opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated.