June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,621
Posts547,105
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yank and bank, swag the deflection, get the gun in front and let loose a shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Runs With The Fox--I have no idea what model the Ithaca is. I'm not familiar with older Ithacas. The stock is completely wrecked and most if not all of the internals are missing. It's a 12 bore with extractors. Can you post a pic of those two small bumps on the water table flats? This thing has round bumps that go from the flats around the fences. I took the J-hook out of the fore end to use as a pattern in making a J-hook for my Remington. They are very similar in shape. When the Remington's J-hook is finished I'll be re-intalling the Ithaca's.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Yank and bank, swag the deflection, get the gun in front and let loose a shot.

Chuck:

Sai-Marchetti's and Beech T-34's (like that one) you can shoot down with a .22 Chuck........ smile.......Did you buy an ACM ride with the SoCal T-34 boys....?......

I only had solid explosive projectiles on my MD A-4C Skyhawk, but the rate of fire was pretty good for two 20mm Colt cannons...... grin.....the hard points held the serious stuff though...... grin

Just think how it would be if we had tracers for our pop guns....!....aka--'the dove tracer'..... laugh

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I think the need for anti-glare matting is not high, it does have advantages as I found out in a trap shoot with a sxs that had no matting. The shooting had to arranged so we faced the sun, although it was high in the sky. Still, I got the worst glare I've ever seen off the rib and it cost me some birds. That experience could very well be replicated in hunting conditions with that gun. I favor a good matting on the rib. But, honestly, this is where a sxs has a distinct disadvantage to a O/U or single barrel gun with a matted rib. My recollection is that the glare on the barrels themselves was significant too.

Obviously a problem recognized by others. I missed a deal on a Bernardelli SL pigeon gun that had the tops of the bbls random line cross hatched and matted - a glare killer for sure. And it actually looked PFC sorta taking off where the engraving stopped. But me and the seller just couldn't get past that $1K that kept me from pulling the trigger. Ah, weeeellll. It was just a SxS anyway. Not a real gun.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can give me the serial number and any markings on the barrel flats and water table I might be able to figure it out. I like the Ithacas- IMO the NID doubles 1925-1948 are a strong as a M21- those heavy 3.5" 10 magnums that Elmer keith liked for western pheasants have held up fine-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run With The Fox-- Serial #107xxx. The right watertable has the same number and the left watertable has an upper case S above a 12. The tops of both barrels have Smokeless Powder Steel stamped on them. This thing is in sad shape. I think it would give even Tony Ballistx999 a rough time restoring it. Like I said the internals are almost completely gone. The barrels are pitted too bad for my taste and don't ring. The lever return spring is still there and the lever closes waaay to the left of center. One of Elmer's guns would be a treasure to own. I'm still a fan of that crusty old bugger.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
Nah, I didn't ever go over to the Sai-Marchetti ACM guys. I figured it'd be a let down from my Pitts. The only attraction was the "gun system" and the ability to score. I did meet one of the owners of the Fullerton ACM operation. He was a MDC production test pilot here in Long Beach. I had to "card" him for his medical during an audit once.

I used to dogfight pretty regularly with friends in other Pitts or similar planes. It would get pretty hairy close sometimes. But we didn't have any way to score. Just yank and bank until someone gave up.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/06/11 04:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Were the file cut ribs made for anti-glare or for heat distortion rising from hot barrels.....as a predecessor of the raised vent rib...?

We know that Italian, American, German, Spainish and French makers commonly file cut (and drill turned) their ribs, whether swamped or flat........So why didn't the English...?

By the 1890's most companies owned matting machines. You feed the stock in and a matted rib comes out.

I can only surmise that some British makers were saving money by cutting out a step.

Pete

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug,
I used to dogfight pretty regularly with friends in other Pitts or similar planes. It would get pretty hairy close sometimes. But we didn't have any way to score. Just yank and bank until someone gave up.

Chuck:

I did the same thing for many years, we'd get pretty serious and competetive, had this Harmon Rocket with a Lycoming IO-540 for about 4 years which had super vertical penetration with lot's to spare and fast, "Sierra Hotel".....much more than the bipes....I had a couple of bipes as well over the years.....ACM is habit forming.....check yer six..... smile...... I also love tight formation flying with competent people............

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys gone slightly off topic? /wink

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.