September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, ithaca1, buckstix, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 222 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,902
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Not all English were built like Purdeys many were knocked out by guys on a pittance to be sold for a few shillings. They were cheap and nasty and fortunately most are long gone .

Here's a cheap and nasty one....I'm sure it was just done to hide a cheap and nasty rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe:
You da speed man! I ask and you post! What a Birmingham clunker! Excellento Tripolo... dat Latin or somthin? Must be a Spanish gun! You old fox...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefever called their ribs Engine Turned. Bill has acurately described a method by which they could be made, I don't truly know for certain just how Lefever did them. This would of course be on a flat one. Some of their ribs were concave & also had the engine turning. In this case the cutter would have to be tipped at an angle & run down the rib thus cutting on one side only. The mill would then have to be tipped the other way & the opposite arcs cut.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Lefever called their ribs Engine Turned. Bill has acurately described a method by which they could be made, I don't truly know for certain just how Lefever did them. This would of course be on a flat one. Some of their ribs were concave & also had the engine turning. In this case the cutter would have to be tipped at an angle & run down the rib thus cutting on one side only. The mill would then have to be tipped the other way & the opposite arcs cut.

The way that parts Ithaca of mine looks the x-axis on the mill would have a high feed rate also.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cutter is of course rotating, but yes the X axis is the only one feeding. It would have a farily high feed rate. What ever the space between two adjacent arcs is then it was feeding that much per revolution per flute on the cutter. If you lay a straight edge square across the rib & compare where the arcs end on each side of the rib it is quickly apparent it was cut with a moving cutter. If the cutter had been brought down to depth & cut an arc, then raised & the rib moved to a new location for another cut etc then the run off on each side would have been on a line square to the rib, but they aren't. You can even determine whether the mil was traveling from breech to muzzle or muzzle to breech by the cutter runout.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rib-matting machines I have seen in Germany can produce a pattern similar to the one seen on that lovely Scott.

The ribbed barrels are fixed to a carriage which rides horizontally on a very long bed. Overhead, the cutter is simply a bit shaped like the end a flat file, cut with the desired shape and number of grooves. The head containing the bit "wiggles" back and forth at an adjustable rate as the rib passing underneath is engraved. The amplitude of the "wiggle" varied with the speed of the carriage and shape of the cutter, provides an almost infinite number of possible patterns.

Best,

c.

Last edited by C. Kofoed; 10/07/11 11:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats just what I was going to say but a bit more technical. Think of it as basicaly like a planing machine [thats metal not wood] Some cut the grooves one at a time to accomodate tapered ribs . Bailons had the last one in Birminham ,they sold it on and I understand it changed hands since and it is currently in pieces after several attempts to re build it .

Sidelock
Sidelock

The machines I saw in Germany were old too. I have photos somewhere but it involves scanning a slide. I'll try to find them in the next month or so (it is bird season).

C.

Last edited by C. Kofoed; 10/08/11 09:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CK,
Is this the pattern that you saw?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

this is the machine that Winchester used, now located at the Gunworks of Central New York.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.