September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Walter C. Snyder, snapcap, susjwp, battle, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,777
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rest easy Joe- so does (did) market hunter, and I never saw him miss a tower pigeon- a few years back at Chuckie's. He has shed some lbs.- good thing, but his temper and disposition are a bit "on edge" not a good thing for a "money shooter"- whether with dice or a shotgun.

Destry- this ain't the PGCA- where a different code previals- this Forum is more like Doonesbury, and I never said you, or HoJo are my friends-I don't believe in fairy tales. And if you don't like my replies here, you can always use you edit out button.. Tally Ho!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey EightBaller- out here Crows AIN'T game birds- and cripples walking around on the field often bring in other birds- decoys. I take out the plug in my POS evil black Mossenburgher 835 and put in a imp. cyl. choke- we used decoys and dead birds, and my Johnny Stewart electronic caller-I learned about No. 9 from the CrowMesiter- the late Bert Popowski- who used a 20 pump and No. 9 skeet loads- Now those for CQC crows- ttwisting, diving, really pissed off-

Tell you what- Mr. EightBalls-- after watching the hefty Limey Master Clays man decimate crows from his set up (no camo no cover except his circular blind-- I'll gladly play that game-- 100 shells (I'll use AA 12 7.5 shot Handicap Trap loads- my LC Smith 12 2E with the VR 32" Nitro steel barrels choked F&F -- and you shoot your 100 shells in any load, gauge and gun of your choosing)-- most birds "grassed outta the 100 wins the pot--crows and feral pigeons. Unlike you, howsome-ever, I'll be shooting from my right shoulder-- Table stakes-- howszat grabbya?? Ho Jo will be my "second" and observer/dead bird tallyman-- you can have the "Nearsighted Mr. Magoo" or whomever you wish-- we'll do it at "The Kraut's Klub" next year-- Hausmann's Ja!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, no 'zactly there Joe-- I read and studied Bert Popowski's "Bible" on killing crows--If No. 9's worked for him, that's good enug for me (and Bobby McGee).. Nice eye though!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You live in a "dream world then" Mr. Treblig-- nothing- not women, horses, money- good liquor and cigars- arouses passions in men like our love of guns and gunning- and as we get longer in the tooth- we get set in our ways and a tad "peckish" when some 4-eyed "expert", a member of the Eastern Seaboard Mafiaoso, comments on things he doesn't know Jack Schmidt about- experts up da giggi here-

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eugene molloy
Quote:
Watch the crow shooting video again but this time with your reading glasses on :), everytime he shoots a crow falls.
They aren't crows.

Next time you read a post get to the end of the second line. smile The great majority were rooks with possibly a jackdaw or two and one magpie.... no crows that I saw.

Mr Digweed even mentions that his "crows" have a big colony nearby; crows are relatively solitary and don't nest in colonies. Rooks do, and in consequence these are called "rookeries". No one ever heard of a "crowery".

Countryman's jest runs... "Lots of crows in a field are rooks, lots of small crows in a field are jackdaws, and a couple of really big crows are ravens".

Eug

Crows are not solitary, ever heard of a crow roost? Ever hear of a "murder" of crows? There have been roosts in the US with up to 1M birds in them. In the 1930's and WWII they blew up the roosts in the midwest with dynamite to prevent crop destruction. One blast killed over 300,000 crows alone.

Mr. Digweed called them crows, he shot them a long way out so I didn't see the subtle detail. However the video is remarkable for his long range shooting skill on "corvids".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2oYeKGcxs&NR=1

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Hey EightBaller- out here Crows AIN'T game birds- and cripples walking around on the field often bring in other birds- decoys. I take out the plug in my POS evil black Mossenburgher 835 and put in a imp. cyl. choke- we used decoys and dead birds, and my Johnny Stewart electronic caller-I learned about No. 9 from the CrowMesiter- the late Bert Popowski- who used a 20 pump and No. 9 skeet loads- Now those for CQC crows- ttwisting, diving, really pissed off-

Bert Popowski would have killed even more crows if he shot 6's or even 7 1/2's. So would you.

Cripples walking around on the field must be dispatched immediately or they are considered live decoys, being crows are classified "migratory" that is a federal offense. It is also less than ethical to let a wounded bird suffer longer than need be.

Since crows are classified as migratory they share some other rules with waterfowl depending on the state. My state and others require a repeater to be plugged for 3 shots. You want to check with your state DNR on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I didn't see the subtle detail
I realised that from your original comment which is why I clarified things for you. The American crow is a different species from the European version and has different habits.

Crows, rooks, ravens and magpies can all appear fairly similar to the inexperienced and ill informed. Unfortunately only three of them are lawful legitimate targets, and shooting the wrong one can incur a fine or imprisonment.

Quote:
ever heard of a crow roost?
Sure. Rarely if ever seen in UK where the birds as I said tend to be solitary.
Quote:
a murder of crows?
Sure. It refers to a mythological gathering on the ground which again is never seen here, or I suspect anywhere else.

Mr Digweed was shooting Rooks, a quite different species from the European crow or his American cousin.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 10/15/11 04:06 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Bert Popowski would have killed even more crows if he shot 6's or even 7 1/2's. So would you.

I never met Mr Popowski personally, nor saw him shoot crows. I do recall reading some of his articles, probably in the 1950s. He was shooting in the mid-west, don't recall the state for certain now. As i recall his writings he began on the premise that the crow was a large bird & needed large shot. Some birds either escaped or required extra shots which he felt should have been killed with the first shot. This led him to experiment & he even plucked some crows & realized the were not near as large minus the fluffy feathers as they appeared. He then progressed to smaller shot.
Now I have only his word for this "BUT" He hoimseld stated that his kill ratio went "UP" when he switched from large shot to smaller shot. Who am I to say he was wrong???
#9 shot will kill a lot more effectively than many give it credit for, I personally don't like using it on any "Game" which I intend to eat. I have eaten a good bit of "Crow" in my life but not intentionally & it wasn't the type which wears black feathers.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Quote:

I never met Mr Popowski personally, nor saw him shoot crows. I do recall reading some of his articles, probably in the 1950s. He was shooting in the mid-west, don't recall the state for certain now. As i recall his writings he began on the premise that the crow was a large bird & needed large shot. Some birds either escaped or required extra shots which he felt should have been killed with the first shot. This led him to experiment & he even plucked some crows & realized the were not near as large minus the fluffy feathers as they appeared. He then progressed to smaller shot.
Now I have only his word for this "BUT" He hoimseld stated that his kill ratio went "UP" when he switched from large shot to smaller shot. Who am I to say he was wrong???
#9 shot will kill a lot more effectively than many give it credit for, I personally don't like using it on any "Game" which I intend to eat. I have eaten a good bit of "Crow" in my life but not intentionally & it wasn't the type which wears black feathers.

I have been crow shooting for near 40 years, I have shot thousands. I have tried about everything there is on them. If you enjoy watching puffs of feathers come off them and they still fly away, if you enjoy watching them scream and fight all the way down, if you enjoy chasing after hoppers, if you enjoy hitting birds but you thought you missed stick with 'ur 9's. If you like plumes of feathers and a majority of dead folds in the air shoot #6. 6 shot will drop at close range as good as anything and it stones 'em at long range where 8 and 9's are useless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nhcrowshooter;
I am not a crow shooter in the sense either you are or Mr Popowski was. If I were to go out with intentions of shooting crows I most likely would pick #7˝s.
I have only your word & Bert's word, both of which claim great success using different shot sizes. He claimed quick kills & made no mention of "Chasing Hoppers". I Really & Truly have no great reason to believe either one of you any more than the other.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.