June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (257rob, Guy Ave), 171 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,230
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I talked to John Thompson of Thompson Machine. He has 20GA reamers and can fit the barrel to my Martini action. He fitted a takedown 12GA rifled barrel to my Greener GP shotgun last year. He did a superb job and it was not expensive at all. I think I'll use a big fat post front sight on a ramp and an XS rear aperture sight mounted on the barrel just in front of the receiver. John can turn the barrel to any dimension. I think I'll have leave it on the stout side.

I already have a set of stock blanks for the Martini.

Now I just have to decide exactly which cartridge to use in it.

l'll bet that KEBCO would put together a group order of 12GA blanks if enough people ordered them.

Last edited by Vol423; 11/11/11 07:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ron Vella
I have a very accurate shooting 12 gauge double rifle that I built years ago using Hastings blanks. At that time they were in Kansas and you could buy 30" long, 1 1/2" diameter rifled blanks from them. It was my understanding at that time that these were built right there in Kansas. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, such blanks have not been available from Hastings for years.

Ron;

How much does your 12 bore rifle weigh? Can you show us a photo of it?

Best Regards;

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please Ron, more info. As I said, I got a couple of the 30", 1-1/2"diam blanks last year with the plan of doing what you did. Who contoured the barrels for you?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I contoured the blanks myself as I have a South Bend 9"x54" lathe. The rifle, with 24" barrels, quarter rib, and Leupold Vari-x III, 1.5x-5x scope mounted, weighs 8 1/4 pounds. I'll post a photo when I can but I'm heading north early tommorrow am to hunt bambis for a week, with my .303 double.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are two photos that I had on file, showing the quarter rib that I just added on this year, both without and with scope mounted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron;

Looks very good. What barrel wall thickness did you taper the barrels down to at the crown?

Did you use a taper attachment on your SB lathe or did you offset the tailstock in order to cut the barrel taper?

Best Regards;

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if we can get a list of people that would order the 12ga. blanks? if so would they please order.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finally took a .625 round ball and slugged the bore of the VC barrels. The groove diameter is .620 and the bore is .613. The seller tells me that the twist is around 1/26", if memory serves me correctly. A Martini shotgun action would be a possible platform but the extractors would have to be built up from 12 to 20 gauge. What about a bolt action single shot? It wouldn't be the first one. How about a Siamese Mauser action? Just thinking out loud as I'm typing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Find a late model Mossberg bolt action. Rear locking with the bolt handle and a second lug opposite. The action looks alot like a rem 7 with a recoil lug between the barrel and reciever.
Nice part is that because it doesn't have a split rear bridge you can use regular scope bases both fore and aft.
Two shot mag and a tang safety to boot.
You just need to get it drilled and tapped with the handle bent.

Cheers

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Allan,
I have built a couple of 20 gauge bore rifles using Verney Carron barrel blanks. Ken Buch at Kebcollc.com has a few 20 gauge blanks left, but they won't last long. He gets $125.00 each for them plus postage. They are the smoothest barrels inside that I have used to date, and a good buy at $125. As of this time, he tells me that he is out of 12 gauge tubes but I am trying to talk him into ordering some for me and a few for sale. I told him that I would try to help him sell them. We need to know how many people are REALLY interested in buying a pair. There is at least one guy on this thread who has talked to me for months about doing a double for him, but when it comes down to actually doing something to get started, he caves in. These people are nuisences and hurt the hobby.
The big problem with availability is that the company doesn't do small orders. Ken has to have a big order together before he can add in a few blanks for builders. Verney Carron has always made the Hastings barrel blanks, all Hastings did was to finish machine them for the various shotgun actions. If any of you are interested in getting 12 gauge blanks let me know and I will pass the information along to Ken, BUT be SURE that you are committed to following through with the project. He wants to know how many to order and doesn't want to have to sit on a bunch of them. Below are three links to pictures of my first 20 gauge bore rifle. The next three are of my own personal 20 gauge deer gun. Bob H. Birdhunter50

Last edited by Dave Weber; 02/19/12 03:06 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.