There were 2 spitzer loads for the Krag in addition to the Farley experimental bullet.

Pitman's notes refer to one Frankford Arsenal limited production of the 1907 Palma Match loaded with Hudson-Thomas 190 grain pointed bullets. One type of load had an OAL of 3.245" and would not function through the magazine. Another batch was loaded to an OAL of 3.084" and would function through the magazine.

The second load was the M-1925 load for a sub-caliber device, loaded with the 172 grain M-1 boat tailed ball, instrumental velocity 1960 fps.

In late 1961, I was a seaman stationed at LualuaLei Naval Ammunition Depot on the west side of Oahu. As one of the flunkies, I was assigned to work on the station inventory. I inventoried several cases of those cartridges, still in storage. I asked a Chief Gunner's Mate what they were for. He told me they were used in a 1903A2 sub-caliber device, used in the Marines 37 & 57 mm anti-tank guns. You can imagine my surprise and shock when I found out that he was wrong. A Chief Gunner's Mate? Unthinkable!
There was a sub-caliber device made out of M-1898 Krag barreled actions that was replaced by the 1903A2.

Last edited by waterman; 11/21/11 08:55 PM.