September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (oskar, battle, 3 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,921
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a left-handed rifle. Look at the triggers and guard bow beading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great eye Mr. Hughes! I sure missed that and was thinking this might be a great deal...not for this avowed right hander!

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

If that's a lefty's gun, why is the checkering on the left side of the top lever and not the right?

Pretty nice gun either way, but what is Number 1 like I wonder?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BrentD, Prof #25502 02/12/07 10:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't it say cheek piece about the nineth line down?
If it was a lefty wouldn't you see the cheek piece on the stock?

Mark
Subgauge #25516 02/12/07 10:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey! I'm a lefty, thats why I got interested in doubles in the first place! I can't find a price on the used H&H on the site. What is the price?

Subgauge #25531 02/12/07 11:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Subgauge
Doesn't it say cheek piece about the nineth line down?
If it was a lefty wouldn't you see the cheek piece on the stock?

I think it's a right handed gun. You can see the cheek piece lifting off on the left side of the stock in this picture:

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mike Bailey #25537 02/13/07 12:33 AM

Mike:

What Phil said. I'll add that the way a beavertail is usually used only exacerbates the weight issue.

The fore-end is not a handle. A double rifle should be fired with the leading hand grasping the barrels, not the fore-end, with the fingers wrapped around the topside enough to ensure that the barrels do not kick out of the hand. The extra girth of a beavertail makes the correct grip more difficult. When the beavertail is grasped in the usual manner that protects the fingers from hot steel, the result is that the leading hand is pulling down on the fore-end at the same time that the barrels jerk skyward in the recoil arc. The extra stress that this, plus the extra weight, puts on the lug makes failure more likely.

I'm not suggesting that this failure is common, but it does happen. If it happens with a 12 bore game gun, who cares? With a double rifle that will be used on dangerous game, you want failsafe reliability and try to eliminate the things that can fail at the worst time and in the worst place. You might be fine at .375 recoil levels, but I wouldn't set it up that way. While it's true that quite a number of current makers offer beavertails on large caliber double rifles, keep in mind that they do so because that's what the comsumers want, not because it's a good idea.

My .400/.360 Purdey has one standing leaf for 100, and two folding for 200 and 300. I've always found this perfect. I shoot smaller groups blindfolded than I do with a ghost ring, so I can't help you there.

The recommendation for the 9.3X74R is usually a good one. The difference between it and the .375 Flanged Magnum isn't much, and ammunition and components are a lot easier to find. However, the .375 is a slightly lower pressure round than the 9.3, and being a Holland caliber, it will have substantially better resale than the same rifle in 9.3.

The Holland posted in the link has reversed triggers, a rolled left edge guard, and was originally stocked with cast on. It is an original left handed gun. Yeah, the top lever operates in the usual direction. Lots of lefties are accustomed to using right handed doubles, are used to the usual right-swinging top lever, and don't want it reversed.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
BrentD, Prof #25539 02/13/07 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I think it's a right handed gun. You can see the cheek piece lifting off on the left side of the stock in this picture:

Actually no, it isn't there. I've seen numerous additional photos of this particular gun, and there is no cheek piece. It's an original left handed gun.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

The lever always works the same direction. Can't ever tell about cast from pix. Semi-beavertail are just fine for double rifles, maybe prefered, it's the extra pressure from the hand-hold that has been a problem with - mostly - shotguns restocked from splinter to beavertail. Beavertail increases control which is a definately a good factor for a rifle. I'm quite sure Holland has grown beyond the consideration of loop strength with their doubles. The trigger guard tells me this rifle was built for a lefty.
I'd order a semi-beavertail, if I was ordering, but I'd look for a great used gun first. And this is a very nice one!

Mike Bailey #25562 02/13/07 08:08 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

many thanks to all of you who have supplied information here. Looks like I will go with a splinter fore-end. afew of you have suggested I go seconh hand and I realise that makes more sense economically but there are lots of small things I want done my way e.g. engraving etc etc. I have already asked for an extended top tang and a lower tang down to the pistol grip. One gentleman mentioned disc set strikers. Can someone enlighten me as to what there are exactly and how they will be an improvement on what the Royal comes as standard with. I won't need turnscrews I think as I am going with pinless locks. Also why go for an articulated front trigger ? many thanks again to all for the info, rgds, Mike Bailey

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.