I ran across this thread over the weekend. Must have perceptively screened it before. I read most all of it. Too bad about the whole situation. Some reason, shooters can be a stubborn bunch. I have no dog in this fight (which sounds to be resolved). But:
A few weeks ago a gun broker I have done business with in the past offered to sell me a Philly Fox SW 16 restored with new case color, the whole nine yards. Though I have bought many shotguns in my life and own some dandys, I am somewhat new to this old double game. I asked a question to this board about how to tell if redone case color was right or a torch job or some other problem.
Russ Gould responded and I ended up in direct communication with him. I forwarded pics of the gun to him. He was helpful, gracious and gave me very good advice (which included buying the superb gun for 1,500 as fast as I could).
He never tried to sell me anything. He never made any kind of pitch and he was generous with his time and knowledge (which is considerable).
Everyone makes mistakes.
Happy trails, Jake (aka Craig Clark)

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net