I was a Corporal dressed in my Marine Corps Alpha uniform (Class A for you Soldiers) standing with three fellow Marines in an airport lobby in 1980. We were all on our first all expenses paid vacation to Okinawa Japan. We were telling sea stories and the like when an older gentleman approached and asked if he could speak to us. The well versed man wove a thread of youth transitioning into life. He spoke in a way that perhaps mesmerized us. After a few minutes one of our group interrupted the spokesman of living a virtuous life and ask, “Sir, aren’t you Woody Hayes?” To that he acknowledged his name and continued to tell us of why we should get an education. I do not remember all of his words and it did take a few years for them to penetrate my thick skull but finally I understood what he meant.

Nearly two decades of service followed that brief interchange with someone famous. Upon retirement I had become a Marine Officer. I entered the civilian phase of my life with a world of experience and an MBA. Combined they landed me an interview with a large company. I think the interviewers liked me because I’m still working for them.

A lot is asked of us as Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines. Some faced the horrors of combat and others the never-ending boredom of the supporting specialties. My favorites were of course the Navy (hospital) Corpsmen. Coming to, flat on my back and immobile, I remember some young Marines kneeling over me and calling, “Sir, sir,…” My response was “Get a Corpsman!” Most Marines hold Corpsmen in high regard. We do however forget about the cooks and others in unglamorous jobs like that. While home on leave from boot camp my father asked me to drive to pick up some parts for the farm. The trip was a couple hours drive but I didn’t mind. He told me to ask for the owner, Merv Haines. When I arrived I met Mr. Haines and he had my dad’s order ready. I was 17 and Merv must have been about 50. At the time that seemed so old… Anyway, Merv Haines asked me many questions about boot camp and the Marines before he acknowledged that he had served. He said, “I was a cook at a place called the Chosen Reservoir. They told me that everyone could cook for themselves. I picked up my rifle and went to the line.” I do not know much about Merv except that he had built a good sized farm implement business and that my father respected him.

Our country asked much of us and more of others. What military service gave and continues to give in return is experience, training, education if one takes advantage of it, and opportunity! I think that many of us who served are better persons because of what we gave and perhaps even more so because of what was taken from us. We would say of during the worst of times that it was, "Good Training!". "Everyday a holiday, every meal a feast!"

To all service men and women, past and present on this Christmas day, I am very proud to have humbly served with you. No matter your service or specialty, thank you for doing your duty.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Last edited by MarkOue; 12/25/11 11:36 AM.

USMC Retired