September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, azgreg, 1 invisible), 327 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#259138 01/03/12 01:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In his book "Birmingham Gunmakers" Douglas Tate mentions the connection between the London based W J Jeffery and the Birmingham gunmaker(s)Daniel Leonard and Sons in that the latter built many guns with the former's name on them.

One of "the sons", Harry Leonard, continued the trade. Tate syas that "a signature feature of many of his guns and rifles was a bow back to the action that Jeffery called a 'shaped action' in his catalog".

In Vol 13 iss 3 Sherman Bell cites Tate's book and also goes on to mention "the asymmetrical bow back, most commonly found on the actions of best-grade Jeffery double rifles".

For the last 20 years my main upland gun is a Jeffery 12 bore apparently built by Harry Leonard (sold by Jeffery in 1909) as it has the bow back, shaped action.

It's a great gun. In fact it's a very great gun, I love it. The wood is mildly figured, the gun's aesthetic appeal doesn't figure into it's quality, as far as I'm concerned. Rather, it's quality to me shows in that it handles beautifully, is dependable in all kinds of weather and takes a beating without crying OUCH!

Now, if Bell says the bow back is a hallmark of best-grade Jeffery rifles, does he also think it is likewise true for Jeffery shotguns? Where could he have gotten this information? Tate's thorough discussion never hints at this.

Question: Is the aforementioned bow back action a sign of a best-grade Jeffery gun?

Please understand that the impetus for writing this post is curiosity, not greedy "WOW! HIGH VALUE = BIG BUCKS gotta sell!" designs. Merely something that I happened to notice this morning while re-reading old DGJ's.

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boothroyd mentions the Jeffery No. 5 being sold as a best boxlock shotgun. I owned a No. 5 built by Harry Leonard. It was beautiful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one, dunno what it is..I have one picture of it here in Mexico, gun is still in USA. Maybe I can get Mr. Wood to post it for me, and someone will tell me about it..Mine is a 16 Bore under 6 lbs..lovely lil gun

GJZ #259211 01/03/12 10:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the information, GJZ. I never even knew it was assigned a Model number.

Yes, my gun is indeed beautiful, the lines are svelte and the balance and handling are just superb. I didn't mean to sound like I was denigrating my gun. I just mentioned the wood, while mildly figured, is not of the quality one usually associates with "bests", which added to my wondering if the gun was indeed considered one.

I'll check my Boothroyd books tonight. It's odd that I forgot about him, his books used to be my sole reference for English doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar, who is basking in the sun in Baja, asked me to post this photo for him:

John McCain is my war hero.
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is not a Jeffery bow back gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew that, but thanks anyhow..like I said a few lines ago, I would like any info on it That anyone wants to volunteer..And no, I cant post any more pics of it until I get back to the United States, if I come back at all...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stealing this thread for your own personal gains you lowdown bandito?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, just thought someone could comment on the wee jeff. FYI: I am NOT a lowdown Bandito, I am a Highclass Bandito...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like it could be a Webley and Scott gun. Leonard made excellent quality guns and you are fortunate to have one. I have two Jeffery's, one, a 12 bore hammer pigeon gun by the Midland Gun Co. and a 16 bore boxlock ejector that is fine quality but as yet I have failed to discern who made it. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.