September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, SKB, Marshgrass, Vol423, 1 invisible), 550 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,840
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It should be a wonderful upland gun. You did great!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not sure how happy I'll be with the "strong" (.030) full choke in the left barrel. I might consider opening it up to .020 (IM) My 16 ga. Model 90DT that I normally hunt with is choked .002/.019.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice catch. I was impressed at the solidity of the Tula gun whose pictures I posted. I think you got yourself a winner. Especially at that price.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had never heard of a Tula and knew nothing about them. I really appreciated everyone's comments and willingness to share knowledge.

Overall, I am very pleased with the gun. As I mentioned, there is no bluing left on the barrels. I may or may not have it rust blued. There is sling attachment hardware on the stock that is missing on the barrels, and the front bead is also missing. (I never see the bead when I'm shooting anyway.)

I am a little surprised at the extent of hand engraving that I failed to notice when I first saw the gun at the gun show. While the engraving is not elaborate, there is engraving on the the side plates and top, bottom and sides of the frame, the trigger guard, hammers, top lever, steel butt plate and all of the screw heads. The pattern on the the screw heads is also engraved on the end of the cross-bolt.

The dealer originally described the gun as "very rare" and had it priced at $600. Thanks to many of your comments plus searching the internet, I told him in a phone conversation that I knew of others who owned Tula hammer guns and offered $300 for it. After some discussion, he said the lowest he would go was $350.

I'm not sure if he was feeling a tinge of seller's remorse or he was just trying to close the deal, but in an email confirming our meeting at his shop, he wrote, "I truly believe $350 is a "low-ball" price considering the excellent working condition, tightness of the gun, and finesse, beauty, and tasteful engraving displayed on this gun. However, I am a man of my word, and will abide by the offer I made to you as regards the Tula." I'm obviously glad he did.

Last edited by BarkeyVA; 01/29/12 04:24 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.