June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (dogon, bigblock, Kolar Dickson), 209 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,639
Posts547,268
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Joe, Gun is not in hand yet, under serious consideration, wanted to confirm my options before proceeding. Will post details and pics if we forge on... I now your thoughts on money pits....

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"very attractive medium grade American classic"

That narrows it down for me its got to be an LC Smith!!!

I just put a thouand dollars into a 16 gauge Nitro Special, don't care if I ever see it because I know I won't because it ain't for sale.
And it ain't never going to be for sale as long as I'm alive and I'm planning on living forever.

So far so good smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I put well over $1K into restocking a 16 ga Ithaca NID (now straight hand, plus new long tang) plus new forend (because the butt stock was exceptional and the old forend was not). I know I have more in the gun than it is worth, but it is not "collectable" in the first place, and I love it the way it is. Plus, it is the only gun of mine with which I have taken "a left and a right". (I suppose that is my problem)

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

JohnR,
I think your gun was worthy of the cost of a top, full restoration. Im all for original right up to the point it starts to loose utility. Every gun needs to be judged on its own to make the decision on how far to go.

Ive bought more than a couple guns knowing they needed some level of restoration or total restoration.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/06/12 11:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
I agonized awhile over whether I should just get the gun repaired or do a full restoration. As with most collectors I would prefer a high condition original gun although with what a high condition XE goes for I most likely could not afford one.
I lucked into this gun for very little and even with the cost of a full restoration will have about 1/2 of what the current asking price is for an original gun. Since my main goal is to have a reliable shooter for years to come and not resale I felt restoration in this case would be the best way to go.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I have this AE that I did what you're doing. I got the gun cheap and it had a broken non-original stock. The metal was untouched. I went the full resto route too. I'm into it what I think I could get out of it. Still, I have no plans to sell it. It's about a perfect a fit as I could want with the dimensions I spec'd, my blank. I'm totally happy. The only deviations from OEM was the grade of wood, checkering from an X pattern, and the schnabel from a high grade Fox. All things that might be plauseable upgrades on an order. Man, your metal, my wood...that'd be a gun, eah?

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/07/12 12:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck
This is a beauty and It's apparent why you have no regrets about having it done. I have one of the earlier AEs without much engraving that I've been contemplating having re-done.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Thanks. Like John, I can't afford to be a purist collector of pristine examples.

This type of restoration gives me some of the pride that comes from vintage guns as well as new custom guns. When they work out well, they are nice.

This 20g NID 3E was another broken, non-original stock mess. It has an original tang selectable SST. I thought the gun was worth saving and would make an upland gun I would be proud to hunt with. It did. Full resto by Gunter Pfrommer. New ICD wood. converted to straight stock/BTFE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Chuck
This is a beauty and It's apparent why you have no regrets about having it done. I have one of the earlier AEs without much engraving that I've been contemplating having re-done.
Jim

Jim, if you have a Fox done, note that only during the first two/three years of manufacturing did Fox utilize bone charcoal CCH....after that, all grades (SW's as well) were Cyanide CCH BTW, unlike Chucks B & C example above....

There are some good Cyanide CCH guys out there......it would then look truly original, if restoration accuracy trips your trigger that is......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24:
Agree that CCH is exceptional on Chuck's examples.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.