September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ithaca1, dukxdog, bushveld, eeb, azgreg, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,924
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
So for taking on a tremendous amount of risk and unknowns, the lucky buyer may only lose about $261.

You must be an exploration manager in the modern day oil patch, or you're an insurance actuary (I guess they're both the same thing these days).

Steve

BTW who's to say that repairs and restoration will cost $3500, maybe just maybe R&R will cost substantially less, then the buyer will have a (gasp!) reward!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think he made a good buy and a gun that will serve him well with the 28" barrels. He could have them opened up to the magical WS1, WS2 chokes and not hurt a thing. As they are it will be a great gun for doves.

-Clif Watkins

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a gunsmith bought it and will be doing most or all of the work himself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
So for taking on a tremendous amount of risk and unknowns, the lucky buyer may only lose about $261.

You must be an exploration manager in the modern day oil patch, or you're an insurance actuary (I guess they're both the same thing these days).

Steve

BTW who's to say that repairs and restoration will cost $3500, maybe just maybe R&R will cost substantially less, then the buyer will have a (gasp!) reward!

Rocdock,

I manage risk for a living. smile What gave me away?

I assume that those dents will need some real cautious TLC. ($500) I assumed putting it back on face is a $300 job. I assumed finding a perfectly suited piece of forend wood and having it replaced was a $1500 job. Excellent bluing / polishing would be another $500. Add $700 to incidentals, things unknown, fixing the extractors, matching the stock oil finish, putting on a correct pad, honing the barrels if necessary, etc.

Long story short, I thought $3500 was a reasonable investment target for the work needed to be done.

Too risky for my blood, but then you knew that as you mocked my "actuary-esque" tendencies. ;-) (I'm not an actuary but I play one on TV)

All the best,

Rookhawk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
Joe, can you explain to me the love you chaps the other side of the pond have for this model ? I donīt know how it handles but it is sinfully ugly, JMHO. And the prices ? best, Mike

Ugly as hell strong as tank....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

Great answer! I'm sorry if I mocked your "actuary-esque" tendencies. I'm an exploration geologist and have to constantly deal with oil people who seem to have totally forgotten that while the risks in petroleum exploration can be great the rewards can be even greater. The legendary "wildcatter" seems to be a thing of the past (RIP sob...). Anyhow, thanks for not getting defensive and hostile, I appreciate that.

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
Joe, can you explain to me the love you chaps the other side of the pond have for this model ? I donīt know how it handles but it is sinfully ugly, JMHO. And the prices ? best, Mike

Ugly as hell strong as tank....

For a second time jOe and I are in agreement (sorry about that jOe). However, no one answered my earlier question regarding the 311. My guess is that the answer is "because it's not a Winchester".

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 02/13/12 03:35 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, because I perceive the 311 as unattractive and not of the same quality as the 21.

And apparently the market agrees with me. grin

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/13/12 03:57 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Rookhawk,

Great answer! I'm sorry if I mocked your "actuary-esque" tendencies. I'm an exploration geologist and have to constantly deal with oil people who seem to have totally forgotten that while the risks in petroleum exploration can be great the rewards can be even greater. The legendary "wildcatter" seems to be a thing of the past (RIP sob...). Anyhow, thanks for not getting defensive and hostile, I appreciate that.

Steve

I work in the petroleum industry as well. Times have changed from what they used to be. No more cowboy boots and rough attitudes. All polished and refined mostly these days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And the Winchester Model 24s don't go for that money either. So it is not just the cartouche.

Steve I can't spend all day looking after you. Chuck is going to have to pick up here as I have some chores to do.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/13/12 04:30 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.