September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (J Scott McCash), 185 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,929
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, very interesting thread and quite a few diverse opinions. So, here's mine. I've handled and shot a 12ga 21. Heavy, awkward and was a very slow gun as far as handling. In short, I didn't like it. It was built like a tank, the pro side. I've also handled and shot a 21 20ga, about the same as far as gauge goes, heavy and akward, didn't care for either one. Now, I'm no dolt (some may think I am and that's fine) and I can say that my experence may not be the same as others, but for me, I just don't understand the big deal about the 21's. I personally think there has been so much hype and legend built up over the years that some folks think this gun is the be all end all of SxS. It's a good gun for some, just not for me.

I have noticed on this forum that there are some who have a very high opinion of themselves and what they have say and others who disagree or pose a different opinion from theirs are the fools and idiots of the DG world. When I ask an opinion or advise on a DG subject, I'll get some very well thought out opinions and good advise. But, sure as heck, the "experts" will chime in with their comments. Most of these comments are smart aleck or just plain rude, nothing constructive or insightful, just hot air. Sure some comments are in fun and one can tell. You can also tell when your being talked down to.

A case in point, Wade and I don't agree on Fox or German guns, he does not care for them, I do, so be it. He won't change my mind and vise versa. But, we don't come to blows over it. We respect each others opinion.

Another case in point. If a person posts about a gun that costs X amount, right away, "Oh that's way to much it's only worth X" OK, then show me one that costs X amount. Can't do it, because there's none out there for that amount of money!!! Again, the expert opinion, others be damned.

Now, someone will also post about a gun, right away, it's a piece of crap or why would you buy that junk. As I've said before, you could buy a brand new Purdey, and someone would find fault with it. Most of these guys can't afford a fine gun, so lets get jealous of the other fellow and tear his gun apart. Makes you feel better and makes your Sterlingwoth or Savage 311 look like a Best gun.

There is so much knowledge on this forum and most of the folks here are fine folks who really want to help others. They are the ones who share their knowledge without complaint and with real compassion for those who want to learn. My hats off to them!!!

As to the others, just go and start your own Forum or ask Dave to start a Whine and Complain sub forum. That way the folks who want to learn and discuss can do it without you.

Rant over.

I do want to add a personal thanks for those who have helped me out here in my gaining as much knowledge as I can with regards to DG. I very much appreciate you!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a few more words about personal experience and opinions.

One of my hunting buddies has in his collection a early 1900s Purdey, and a Beretta SO5, both 12 ga. They fit him, as does his 12 ga. M-21 field grade. He's carried them all for pheasant hunting over the years, but several years ago settled on the 21 as the best of them for his pheasant hunting -- which is like mine, walking lots of miles with one or two buddies behind flushing dogs. He's 64 years old, but with no fetish about gun weight as a necessarily primary criterion for good handling.

I'm 60. My own 16 ga. is a mite under 6-3/4 lbs. It's not light for a 16, but so what? The stock fits me, and it's one of the two best handling of my 7 side x sides, of various gauges and weight.

I agree that prices are very high -- maybe something to do with only 30 some thousand made?

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

SOOO...after the Mod.21 digested all the proof loads, it turned to the Purdey and said....._________. Your turn, guys!

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
SOOO...after the Mod.21 digested all the proof loads, it turned to the Purdey and said....._________. Your turn, guys!

I know I'm a brute, fat and ugly and your a wonderful sweet lass, I wish I had your lines!

Good One BTW!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

O beautiful for spacious skies, For amber waves of grain,
Made in America
For purple mountain majesties Above the fruited plain!
By Americans
America! America! God shed his grace on thee
For Americans
And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea!

I would suggest that those without an appreciation for the Model 21 also lack an appreciation of Motherhood and Apple Pie wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
O beautiful for spacious skies, For amber waves of grain,
Made in America
For purple mountain majesties Above the fruited plain!
By Americans
America! America! God shed his grace on thee
For Americans
And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea!

I would suggest those without an appreciation for the Model 21 also lack an appreciation of Motherhood and Apple Pie wink

I am a big fan of Ithacas and the Remington 1894 and 1900 so I doubt my MADE IN AMERICA patriotism is in jeopardy because I dislike the Winchester Model 21. I feel we are a strong enough country that I can be able to appreciate guns made in other countries as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two, a 3" duck and a 20 gauge Tournament grade with a straight grip
DOUBLE triggers and ejectors. They are not for sale. Granted, they are not like my 728 Webly and Scott but they are still great guns. To each his own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fellow who owned the gun in question apparently had a heck of a life with that little 20. I would buy his book. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

You want a book about living out of your car with your firearms in the trunk for months while your divorce is pending?

h
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread has me thinking about the Winchesters. Ive collected a few and watched many more pass through the market over the last 25 years. It just occured to me as I contemplated the present value of the old ones I have in their original box... Winchester cardboard is worth more-by weight- then the firearms are.

h
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.