September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, R Reynolds, SKB, 3 invisible), 479 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,865
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, .729 obviously.

Edited.

Sorry.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at an older Beretta 686, priced very reasonably as it does not have screw-in chokes. I'd like to get it bored to 5 thou and 15 thou. Barrells are chrome lined, does anyone know of a gunsmith in Canada who can work on chrome-lined barrells?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
One good thing about Brileys is they can install them in a barrel set almost ruined by another company in the game. (Starts with a 'C')

More than one of the other companies starts with "C", Mike. However, I know which one you're NOT referring to.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta bbls are "chrome hardened", not lined. Carbide reamers don't even know it's there. Regular reamers will cut it too, just won't do it very many times. I can't imagine a pro 'smith that wouldn't have carbide reamers. Some of them go for a "special prep" fee that is simple excrement. You do NOT need to have the bbls honed to cut the chrome to open a choke.

AFAIC all aftermarket tubes are the work of Satan. And I have seen some Briley work that was def in need of fixing. You're own your own. If you think you need Brileys you should prolly get the helical tubes as well.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 02/17/12 01:31 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

WTF is chrome hardened? I oversaw a chrome plating line in a past life and never heard that term. Sounds like another play on words by a maker for a hard chrome plating. Thickness of hardchrome plating can be from millionths of an inch to hundredths of an inch. Its thickness doesn't change what it is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed. The term was coined, I'm guessing, to dispel the notion of a "layer" of chrome that could be stripped out by shooting when in fact it is like you say maybe a couple molecules thick.

I've seen it applied to other than gun things too. IIRC motorcycle cylinders a couple decades ago had "chrome-hardened bores". Again dodging the idea of a layer that could be stripped.

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

If this chrome is not layered on then just how is it applied. Is it alloyed into the steel at manufacture, if so then just say it is a chrome alloy steel not Chrome Hardened. Steel alloys with chrome as one of their alloys have been around for ages, nothing new about them. In fact most all semi-modern to modern shotgun bbls have a percentage of chrome in their alloy mix.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My bad, it's a 20 gauge and it's actually a larger bore than other Beretta guns I've had. The chokes are also pretty long as well and are .016 and .027 so they are not that bad. I think I'll go with .005 and .015 and just adapt my ammo. I'm not a fan of choke tubes but I do appreciate the versatility they add.

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
My Beretta's were hardchromed in the bores. It was as clear as day when you looked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck;
Be vey careful with it, don't "Peel" it.
Yes I am fully aware there are bbls which have been hard chromed, have one myself.
As you know though a 4140 bbl would be harder than a 1040 bbl. The 4140 has a chrome component in its alloy. I don't know if this alloying is what Quack WtIS (Wonko the Insane) is referring to as "Chrome Hardened" or what. I put over 35 years in machine shops mostly with inhouse heat-treating & like you I never heard the term Chrome Hardened.
This chrome alloy steel while harder than a plain carbon steel would of course still not have the high surface hardness of a hard Chromed (Lined) bore.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.