Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Chuck:
At the risk of further perpetuating this already insanely too-long thread, your posit is dire indeed.
If a machine can replicate an engraving pattern by programming a graver, is the result real "engraving."??? I doubt it.

But , just as machines now create "chequering", is the product really chequering?

Or is it simply machine-made wood knurling? Worthless except for tractive grip?

The issue to me is "soul." Or more precisely, human hand. That which lacks it is simply utilitarian product for consumption.

I'd rather have gun with soul and sweat of the brow any day Kensal, your opinions stated above get to th "heart" of the matter.

On a recent tour of the Holland and Holland factory, I got a chance to marvel at how they still make guns with quite a bit of hand finishing. A brief interview with the head machinist/programmer was interesting in that he had the ability to program the machines they have currently so that virtually no hand fitting needed to be done. Its commendable that H & H chooses to reign in this temptation and leave the craftsman the opportunity to have last stroke of the file, and keep the traditions intact. The gun wouldn't be a Holland and Holland in my mind if it weren't

-Clif Watkins