September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, ivanhoe, Roundsworth, Austin Hawthorne, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,925
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
... do your travel and hunting sooner rather than delay it to later ... Even if you only get to do it for one year that will be more than many of us get to do in a decade or a lifetime. Do not delay, just do it. ...

That's why I moved to Maine. I always wanted to live, hunt and fish in New England and Maine appealed to me. I was approaching a crossroads, looked at the calendar and said to myself "you are f'g miserable here. If you want to do this, do it now or you might never do it. And then you'd be kicking yourself in the behind while lying on your deathbed."

So, I sold out, folded the tent, and moved. I live cheap. I pick up work when I need to get money. And I have not been happier in a long time. My way of living isn't for everyone, but it suits me fine. I chose happiness now, over chasing the mirage of "success". I'm happy with my choice.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Claybird
This board, and all of you,is / are fantastic. Much to think about. Maybe the best idea is to travel around (Travel with Charley?) In my case, with Blitzen!) It so happens that the part of NJ where I live is unbelieveably rural, BUT, the State is so hostile towards people like us! (PRNJ)

I just want to go where people with guns are "good folks."

Left Bergen county PRNJ 13 years ago with the same feeling and moved to "Live Free or Die" NH, you can't get better gun laws then here(as well as no sales,or income tax) and much worse then where you are now. My only regret is not doing it sooner !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

One retired friend is a "snowbird". He lives in the northwest in the warmer months and travels to southern AZ in the bird seasons and stays the winter. Looks like a great way to enjoy our northern U.S. and not be snow-bound for 4-5 months nor fry like a lizard in the summers.

Southern AZ fills with snowbirds every fall. Snowbird towns sprout up in the same places. There are places where many thousands come in their motorhomes and trailers. It's quite a sight. These folks carry on relationships with other snowbirds year after year. Kind of a part year retirement community.

As KY Jon said, don't delay. Procrastination is your enemy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The advice on doing it sooner rather than later is sound.I am fortunate to have "retired" the first time at age 56.I promptly, before I could change my mind, packed up and moved to Baja. I had no money, lived on unemployment and guide fees for a few years. I never have really stopped working, just quit taking it so seriously.There are no "do-overs" after you get older. I live on a cash basis, quite well thank you, and adjust my wants accordingly. AND I am still eating tri-tips Chuck H brought to the ranch last bird season...Kansas provides the fabulous hunter friendly low overhead Northern base for me....Just do it.......

Black and Tan
Unregistered
Black and Tan
Unregistered

Claybird,

As a fellow inmate of PRNJ and being faced with the same conundrum I wanted to offer one other plus to the sage advice offered by Dave. PA does not tax retirements ,(if there is one to be taxed?).

I have lived in TX, FL, GA, KY, MD, NJ, CA, MI, NJ, Ontario and overseas. All have pluses and minuses. Sadly the phrase "you can never go home again" is true. None of the places I have treasured look anything like they did when I was there, not even the UP in Michigan. So all I can recommend weigh your needs - access to activities, healthcare, cost of living, proximity to family - and see if the attractive places (CO, NM, etc.) meet the requirements. Tell us what you decide when you come to it and vaya con Dios.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, success is working where you want to live. There's no success working where you are miserable, even if the streets are paved with gold.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting thoughts.

I'm planning to give up the ratrace in a few years myself.

How about Gainesville, FL?

Hunting is not important, but I do like to shoot.

Anyone ever been to Gator Skeet and Trap?

I could probably shoot bunker trap the rest of my life and be pretty happy...

It would be cool to coach some of the kids too..

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thank everyone for your replies / advice. Retiring is not easy, especially as I don't work 9 to 5 every day. Just yesterday I gave up to some importuning and agreed to defer my retirement from 9/1 to 12/31.

Right now, I live about 4 miles from my hunting club, Amwell Valley Conservancy (put and take pheasant, chukar & huns on about 1400 owned acres)(not cheap, though), and usually hunt by myself with hardly anyone else nearby. Here in PRNJ there are essentially no wild upland birds (except during migration), and I don't count Canadas, which we have up the ying-yang, as wild.

I'll keep you all informed.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claybird, should you move here are some things to consider. How far will you be from family? Will you miss your friends? You will need to find a new doctor, dentist, barber, auto mechanic and other good to know people with whom you now have relationships. Hunting is season is 2 to 3 months a year, what will you do in the new location for the other 9 to 10 months?
What will do if a day comes that you can not drive? There is a great deal to consider before packing it up and hitting the road. Perhaps the answer could be to take more hunting trips out of state in retirement and stay in place you are familiar with. Everybody is different, what is right and works for others may not work for you. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To add to what's said immediately upthread - one of the hardest "things" to replace on moving is a good veterinarian. I had a great one in Jersey, and a devil of a time finding one in Maine. Harder to replace than a human physician.

I stand by my rec to jump the river into PA - the difference between 14 miles and 4 is not that much.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 03/16/12 08:41 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.