Originally Posted By: nca225
Tell me Canvas, if you were to jump as high as you can, do you have faith that you will come back to the ground are you just positive that the force of gravity will decelerate and then overcome the velocity of your jump, and then cause you to go in the opposite direction back to the ground at a rate of 9.8M/s2?

I would not call knowing that gravity is going to have an effect on your jump, "faith".

Scientists are trained in a discipline that ensures reliableness, accuracy and precision. Trusting in results attained through that discipline is not faith.

Ah! Herein lies a conundrum! The human condition intervenes here and after jumping millions of times and coming back down we assume it to be a "truth" - the same as molar ratio of hydrogen and oxygen in water to be a "truth"

That works as a casual approximation and to a large extent teleology is right in the real world.

However, in areas where stuff isn't as simple and clear as these examples we maintain skepticism. It is folly to be skeptical of the composition of water but in my own day the molecular structure of complex molecules such as testosterone and DNA were being elucidated and it took a while for the data to become clear.

The substance DNA was discovered (isolated) by Meischer in (I think) the 1860s but its function wasn't known until the mid-20th cent. The nature of the gene was a puzzle and skepticism was maintained but it never became a religion or faith.

We scientists are a crusty, cantankerous lot and one of the earliest of our sodden lot, Robert Boyle, even wrote a book the "Skeptical Chymist"

By the way, if you take Boyle's law you can imagine a situation where it doesn't hold but then thermodynamics would have to reverse! Think Schrodinger's cat.

Here's a real example: Everyone who has ever taken a course in organic synthesis will have encountered the phenomenon of getting a yield that exceeds the theoretical yield - in essence it appears that one has created matter. That has been demonstrated by many ways to be impossible by ordinary chemical means. Yet the observation is made that a student has a 110% yield.

That's one to ponder.