Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: Gnomon

....science does not prove stuff - it proposes mechanisms that are the best fit to current data. Science only disproves...

Wow, so global warming is imagination from a scientific mind, but subject to disproving. There are many things that science can prove. Do we erect skyscrapers hoping they won't collapse, or tear into someones chest for heart surgery, hoping that things will be in the right place.

By the way Gnomon, I'm still curious how you are going to create matter.
Nca, it's all in you words that were quoted.

craig, please think about what was written.

You may find the notion strange, but many do because science is either not taught at all or nobody pays attention!

I walked us through the philosophical issues regarding "proof" and "falsification" and won't do it again since it seems not to make a difference. The more evidence that accumulates supporting a theory the "better" the theory is. But it does not "prove" it - the fact that predictions from theory or experiments actually work is nice but it isn't proof.

People built huge buildings in pre-science days. Some fell down and the ones still standing didn't. Modern structures, embarrassingly collapse too. Also, engineering is not science. Please read what I wrote.

By the way, modern philosophers of science would probably not include anatomy and even if it were science (and not descriptive natural history) you are wrong abut the cardiac surgery. Stuff is often not the "right place" and that has to be considered. Look up situs inversus or transposition of the great arteries as a starter.

And I never said I'm going to create matter. Where does that come from?