September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (LeFusil, buckstix, lagopus, FallCreekFan, 2 invisible), 217 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,942
Posts550,949
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Gnomon you are right, I did mean to say "lowered the allow mercury emissions." Thanks.

I also meant to say that I believe Obama's purpose in lowering the standard is s to lower CO2 emissions and the mercury limits are just the means. But suppose we take that money that the people of the Texas Panhandle are going to spend on new gas-fired plants and spend it on fuel cell research or a wind farm or tax breaks for high mileage vehicles. Isn't that a better use of wealth than obsoleting all the coal fired plants in the USA?

Best,

Mike

Mike, I and many others do agree with you but the domestic political opposition to new energy sources is too great for it to happen except incrementally in this country and rapidly in the rest of the world.

RHD45 #271603 03/20/12 09:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnomon,

criagd, much like keith, just makes up shit.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
RHD45 #271604 03/20/12 09:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hasn't anyone looked at the URL that cpa posted? It's terrific:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/06/the_global_warming_crisis.php

The comments following are, too.

nca225 #271605 03/20/12 09:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225

Thats pretty telling too since most of the threads I respond too here are of a political nature. I can tell you have politics much to the right of mine and now I can tell that your politics doesn't leave room for other's differing opinions. You can miss a lot if your view is to narrow.

I admit I am culpable of that as well.

NCA225, without disavowing any of my political viewpoints, I'll point out that I have been rather explicit in this thread about the reasons for my suspicions about the evidence of man made climate change.

And none of them are based either on religious grounds as cpa thought, or political grounds as you are suggesting. Unless you feel that lying and manipulating and suppressing data are uniquely political.

In fact what I think I have seen is a strong argument in favour of a radical political/social agenda combined with a self serving financial agenda (read Al Gore et al) that uses man made climate change as the trojan horse. Can't find another plausible rational for the scientific subterfuge. Would love to hear one.

As far as missing things go, I try not to, but, like everyone I've ever met, I'm far from perfect.

I do try to separate opinion - man is in the process of creating a climate disaster - from fact - the earth's historical record, as much as we can understand it at this point, indicates substatial changes in climate, some of which have been quite sudden and some have taken many thousands of years to become apparent.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Gnomon #271606 03/20/12 09:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Hasn't anyone looked at the URL that cpa posted? It's terrific:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/06/the_global_warming_crisis.php

The comments following are, too.

Yup, I read it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
nca225 #271607 03/20/12 09:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvas,

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=polar-ice-sheets-melting-faster-than-predicted

I believe Mr. Raal's opinion is in the minority on this one.

NCA225, in the comments section of that very article there is a discussion pointing out increase of antarctic ice mass over the last 30 years. I guess it's not quite as "settled" as you would suggest.

For the record, unlike you, I'm not saying it is or isn't decreasing. I'm just saying, like with so much else connected to man made global warming, there are widely divergent opinions, results of studies and viewpoints. Gnomon earlier made the point that sometimes the science is wrong but we do the best we can at the time. I would suggest that "the best we can" is not what the global warming hysterics are all about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Thats pretty telling too since most of the threads I respond too here are of a political nature. I can tell you have politics much to the right of mine and now I can tell that your politics doesn't leave room for other's differing opinions. You can miss a lot if your view is to narrow.

I admit I am culpable of that as well.

NCA225, without disavowing any of my political viewpoints, I'll point out that I have been rather explicit in this thread about the reasons for my suspicions about the evidence of man made climate change.

And none of them are based either on religious grounds as cpa thought, or political grounds as you are suggesting. Unless you feel that lying and manipulating and suppressing data are uniquely political.

In fact what I think I have seen is a strong argument in favour of a radical political/social agenda combined with a self serving financial agenda (read Al Gore et al) that uses man made climate change as the trojan horse. Can't find another plausible rational for the scientific subterfuge. Would love to hear one.

As far as missing things go, I try not to, but, like everyone I've ever met, I'm far from perfect.

I do try to separate opinion - man is in the process of creating a climate disaster - from fact - the earth's historical record, as much as we can understand it at this point, indicates substatial changes in climate, some of which have been quite sudden and some have taken many thousands of years to become apparent.

Canvas, as you have pointed out, words are important. I have not once suggested you hold your beliefs on climate changed based on your politics. I did point out that you seem to be judging me based on my posts not only on this thread but in what I have posted on threads concerning politics. I am unaware of similar behavior on my part directed towards you, here or in any other thread.

I think my point is clear and sound. As a whole, we cant even start a discussion on how to solve the issue, because an entrenched opposition to the science of climate change as manipulated by man made activities. The discussion does not even get off the ground, because of established talking points about the burden this would create on world economies and overregulation.

I will point out though that your skepticism seems to end with the IPCC science without questioning the motives of the "science" of the opposition. Who has the most to loose with addressing climate change? Its not governments, its the energy industry, whom as a whole is not beyond buying scientific results to keep their interests intact.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
RHD45 #271610 03/20/12 10:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvas,

I typically care for what is in the article that is the product of a scientific institution. Not what the peanut gallery of comments has to say.

RHD45 #271613 03/20/12 10:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same guys, turning everything into a political argument. so they can piss on each others legs........

nca225 #271614 03/20/12 10:31 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

[
Canvas, as you have pointed out, words are important. I have not once suggested you hold your beliefs on climate changed based on your politics. I did point out that you seem to be judging me based on my posts not only on this thread but in what I have posted on threads concerning politics. I am unaware of similar behavior on my part directed towards you, here or in any other thread.

I think my point is clear and sound. As a whole, we cant even start a discussion on how to solve the issue, because an entrenched opposition to the science of climate change as manipulated by man made activities. The discussion does not even get off the ground, because of established talking points about the burden this would create on world economies and overregulation.

I will point out though that your skepticism seems to end with the IPCC science without questioning the motives of the "science" of the opposition. Who has the most to loose with addressing climate change? Its not governments, its the energy industry, whom as a whole is not beyond buying scientific results to keep their interests intact.

I understood your comment to be directly pointed at my politics. If I misunderstood I apologize.

I have made judgements about you based on posts other than in this thread, although not as a result of any comments directed at me. And those comments I refer to involved ad hominem attacks. The person, not the message. I'm not saying you are the only one but I will say it hasn't simply been instances of defending yourself. I like these kinds of discussions, for the simple reason is they provide an opportunity to learn. However, when they go sideways, they become less interesting. This has been a pretty good one so far. Hope it stays that way.

You are right, the broader subject can't even get off the ground. But I have a different explanation for why not.

The hysteria surrounding Kyoto and the IPCC machinations have made it difficult. What's the difference you might ask? It's usually pretty easy to determine a shill for the coal and oil companies. The IPCC took the scientific subterfuge to a whole new level.

For many years now, the public face of the advocates of Kyoto and the IPCC have had a public stance of either you believe everything we say or you are dead to us. What kind of scientific examination does that allow for? What's with that? Then they get caught by irrefutable evidence of lying and information suppression and distortion.

My question to you would be why aren't you suspicious?

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.