September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (azgreg, Ken57, Walter C. Snyder), 181 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,885
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the comments.

Got more done, tho it may not look like much.

Hammer made, firing pin hole drilled (yahoo!), lock set into wood.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for keeping us updated on this project, I really
enjoy watching the progress.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, screaming along at a snails pace.

Barrel on, 31 inch octagon GM #3 1/2, chambered to 40-65 Win.
Started some stock work.

Lock nearly done, spring made from a stainless steel bread knife! They make great springs.
This one works but is a bit too wide, so may make one from 1/8 steel.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, getting closer to going "boom" - at least to see if it will.

Trimmed up the action a bit, rounded some corners, all the workings inside are done.

Been working on the stock, here are both sides, this is a two piece laminated walnut. Will have toe and heel plates and checkered butt. Comb is too high, but waiting on the sights before hacking off too much.
Right side (duh)

Nuther side

Next to make a main spring and the forend wood.
Tang sight is on the way.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, some more pichers

Lockwork, made a new spring, works the hammer and the sear, still need to reduce the trigger weight, good hunting weight at present.

Here is right side, one coat of oil, so rather flat finish.

Left side

And one of yours truly holding "Mr. Henryish"

So, with cosmetics left to do, this is all for a few months.
Shooting season is upon us here.

Oh, nearly forgot -
It spoke 5 times at the range this morning!
62 gr FFG, 420 gr lead
Loverly!

Thanks, hope you enjoyed my bumbling.

Boxlock
Boxlock

This is my first time reading in this forum and my first post..This build is my favorite kind of project.Has it been finished yet? You have done a fantastic job with it..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Morning Steven and Welcome. I bet some would like to see
a couple of you projects. Like your LW"s Stevens 44 or Win 73 etc,etc. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Steven, welcome from me also, Funny how we old pharts of gunmakers gravitate towards the same Web Sites. I second Whitey's suggestion about showing some of your work.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Whitey, Harry , its great that I find two old friends on this forum. I will eventually show a Maynard or something else I am building from barstock.

oldstarfire Are there any other of your builds on this forum ? I really like that home built sidelock.A few years ago I started building such locks for a project and quit before finishing .Its a huge bit of work building an entire gun that a lot of folks dont fully appreciate.Lot of fun to see somebody else build a whole gun.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,
FYI, there are quite a few people on this site who have built many guns from "barstock" including designing them also. (Not just a copy)
You may want to spend sometime in the previous posts, or start a new thread and those who have built guns can show there work. And certainly including your own. Would like to see your guns, please.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.