Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I am thinking of taking up sporting clays and want to purchase a side by side. Couple of questions though.
  • Is the recoil on a 12 gauge significantly more than a 20 gauge as I've been told that the heavier the gun the lower the felt recoil?
  • Is a gun with a pistol grip easier to shoot than a straight English style?
  • Any recommendations on maker (around $1200 -- $1500)?
Thanks
Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few personal opinions that pertain to me and SxSs only - they may have no relevance to others.

In my experience the single biggest factor in felt recoil is the fit.

Personally, I dislike pistol-grip stocks especially with double triggers. I don't think one is "easier" than the other, but it is probably pure personal like.

I hesitate to recommend a maker since you don't indicate if you want a classic or a newer gun. If you're an experienced shot you will discern big differences in guns from different makers in the way they handle and feel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Alan,

First of all, Welcome on your first post.
Congratulations on thinking of taking up sporting clays,
it is great fun.

A few questions.
1. Have you shot much shotgun before?
2. If so, what kind of gun and what venue?
3. Will you be reloading or shooting factory ammo?
4. How tall are you and what is your physical stature?
5. Why side by side and not some other type of shotgun?

With these answers, we should be able to find you a suitable side by side.

Enjoy the day
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 03/22/12 03:27 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike
Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions:
  • I have only shot a 12 GA when I went bird hunting (called rough shooting) with a friend in England where I grew up. If I remember rightly I had a sore shoulder after shooting a box of shells (not sure what the load was).
  • I will be shooting factory ammo.
  • I'm 5'-7" with a medium frame (165lbs.) and I'm retired.
  • I guess being from England I like the side by side. I have a 16 gauge by WP Jones of Birmingham and also a 12 gauge with Damascus barrels by William Jones of Liverpool. Both are straight stocks with double triggers. I don't want to shoot them as they are too valuable.
I was talking to a couple of guys while checking out a local sporting clays club and they suggested that the recoil from a 12 would be felt less than a 20 due to the weight of the gun.
Thanks
Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan:

If you are in the U.S. now and desire an American made side by side, I would suggest looking at the L.C. Smith in 12 gauge and the Fox Sterlingworths in 12 gauge....both of these are quite available in numerous quantities (12 gauge) in your price range that you noted above.....

Both these brand names are of very good quality and make good daily SxS shooters IMO....some of the other American brands require more maintenance, again my opinion.....

Shooting light loads in vintage 12 gauge doubles will please you with regard to recoil and duration...(the gun and you)....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278831745

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278423807

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278473292

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278010121

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan,
If I were in your position, but knowing what I know now about both SXSs and shooting this is what Id do.

1. For a target gun Id choose a 12 gauge SXS that weighed about 7.5 to 8 lbs. A 12 is nice because you have an almost unlimited selection of ammo and when ammo goes on sale you can always find 12 gauge. A lighter gun will give you a harder felt recoil.

2. If recoil is a worry start out with light target loads, for my sons wife I suggested she begin using 12 gauge Winchester AA Low recoil/Low noise shells or Xtra-Lites. I believe all the major manufacturers have equivalent shells. BTW, I think most people on the board will agree with me, hi-power, hi-velocity shells are not necessarily the way to go, unless you like blown patterns.

3. English grip or pistol grip, thats a personal preference issue and since Im not a mind-reader youll have to figure that one out on your own.

4. Take the two guns you currently own, choose the one you shoot the best and measure the stock dimensions or have them measured. Try to find a gun that has those same measurements or can be easily adjusted (for instance, add a recoil pad to increase length of pull). Better yet, find someone to take your shooting measurements and use those measurements when choosing a gun. Gun fit will make a big difference in how well you shoot a particular shotgun, so its money and aggravation saved in the long run.

Ill let others here recommend what model to buy.

I hope this information is useful.

Steve

PS Welcome to the board!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

this is like asking for help choosing a wife! best you make your own decision here...so, if it aint right, you got no one to blame but yourself! an if you get it right...you are a genius!

as with women. start out cheap and work your way up...an never pay too much!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan,

Doug's suggestions are really good it you want a vintage gun. But, IMO, if you want to shoot clays really well I would make a couple suggestions. I compete with S x S guns and have tried L C Smiths, Foxes, Parkers, and others, and I have settled on a Browning BSS with 30" barrels as the best S x S I have ever used for sporting clays. It comes with a single trigger that is dead nuts reliable, has a very shootable pistol grip, which I feel is very important for a competition gun, a beavertail forend to keep your fingers off the hot barrels, and has the ideal weight for 100 rounds in a short time. And, it can be found in excellent condition in your price range. If you had rather shoot shorter barrels it can be had a couple hundred cheaper, but I'd recommend the 30".

Recoil will not be an issue with it, especially with 1 oz. loads. I shoot 1 1/8 oz. when competing, mostly, and recoil is no problem at all. The BSS is a very strong and well built gun and would last you a lifetime with proper care, and never shoot loose.

SRH

P.S. Works pretty good on ducks, too!

Last edited by Stan; 03/22/12 06:25 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Browning BSS is an excellent choice for high volume shooting and the weight is right. One of my friends shoots one in competition and he is very please. It is a very dependable, near trouble free gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Find a Vintager group near you. They'll have access to lots of SxS of all makes. I have yet to meet a Vintager that wouldn't let you try a few shots (with his ammo).
Guns to consider if you don't reload and will be shooting off the shelf ammo.
As Stan said, BSS (skip the sidelock, too much money)
Ruger SxS
CSmC RBL 12 in clays configuration (too heavy for me, but an excellent choice)
AYA's in boxlock or sidelock. They are modern guns built to English standards.
Winchester 21s, in a not collectable configuration (reblued, etc)

Joe

PS to Stan (I look forward to seeing you at the Southern!)
PPSS (I will win, you pick the event. We shoot together. I'll wager cheap/cold beer)).

Last edited by Joe in Charlotte; 03/22/12 06:57 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.