Jon's questions and comments are great!

This interview could lead into an entire SS series, as there are craftsman on both sides of the pond that are more than due their moment in the spotlight. Look how many times those of us around here ask for "who's a great engraver/stocker/barrel man/etc.

I love the idea of the 'tell'. When I was almost finished building my house, I put a proof coin set and a letter in the wall. I hope some day, many years from now, the new owners - renovating the house and making it their own - find it.

The idea of thier history and future appeals to me too. I often think of my guns' history as I hunt. Of course you never know, but I'm pretty sure I will be the first to introduce my "new" Purdey to Western quail (mountain/valley/mearnes/etc) this year, even though she's 139 years old. I wonder how many woodcock/grouse/pheasant she's taken in the mother country and even why she was sold.

I would also like to know what makes something stand out at the auction. What makes you say "I can save that" vs looking at something and saying "Not worth the bother"

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Great news and a well earned and very smart move by SS. I do have several question I would like to see answered.

What is your most interesting gun you have restored? What was the worst one? Is there one more make or type of gun you wish you could find still and restore? Do you get a sense of the history of these old guns while you are working on them? Ever think about the men who made the locks, stock and barrels over a hundred years ago? Have you wondered where these guns will end up in the next hundred years? I do when I work on mine or hold them.

Have you left any tells behind? A tell could be a pencil written line that this guns was restored by Tony Treadwell March 23, 2012, hidden someplace on the gun. Or it could be a paper message left under a recoil pad. Even just your initials stamped in the wood in a hidden place.

I found a hunting permit that dated to the early 50's under a pad. Have not been able to find the hunter but someday I hope to track down his family or better yet the hunter. Found a roll of dimes that was put in the stock as a weight and maybe as a place to hide a few bucks of silver coins. Sad to say none were rare or extremely valuable coins but much nicer find than a wad of shot.