Some thoughts -

1. Of the several dozen APUN in the Daly database, I have not (yet) seen an overlap - i.e., two guns with the same APUN.

2. There is not a direct correspondence between APUNs and serial numbers - i.e., if two Dalys have serial numbers 10 numbers apart, the APUN has not been 10 numbers apart. Often it is close, but not one-for-one. In general though the APUNs and Daly serial numbers track, in the sense that the earlier Daly guns have lower APUNs and the older Dalys have higher APUNs.

3. The serial number/APUN correlation is complicated by the fact that in several instances a Daly with a lower serial number has a higher APUN as compared to another Daly with a slightly higher serial number. The number differences are not large, but they are there. This is likely explained by the varying build times of the individual guns, but does complicate things. I can provide examples if you'd like.

4. I have recorded APUNs on William Schaefer & Son boxlocks in addition to the makes you have listed.

5. I own Charles Daly serial number 7 ("lucky number seven"), a boxlock, and can verify the APUN later today. It is in the 50s and the lowest I have yet recorded.

Best regards,
Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 03/26/12 11:56 AM.