June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (FlyChamps, 257rob, 1 invisible), 567 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,701
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#273725 04/03/12 01:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just found out this morning that Cabelas will not not accept C&R licenses for transfer of firearms that use ammunition that can be purchased over the counter, regardless of the age of the firearm. This from the Hazelwood (St. Louis area) Mo store. Their reasoning, at least from the clerk I spoke with, is that "you could still hurt someone with a gun even though the gun is 100 years old."
I didn't realize that was the thought behind the concept of the various classes of ATF licenses. Somehow, I thought Cabelas management was a cut above this.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
I ran up against this a few yrs back when I was looking at a C&R gun at a Cabelas in either Sidney or Mitchell. They wouldn't honor the C&R nor sell to me at all because they claimed they didn't sell to California residents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Utah does not recognize arms that can be made to fire modern ammo as being antique. This type thing likely has a bearing on what they do.

Added 04 Apr...Utah Code, Title 53, Chapter 10, 76-10-50-1 Definitions. This spells it out. Good old lawyer talk.

Last edited by SamW; 04/04/12 08:49 PM.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought L.C. Smith shotguns with my C&R license from Cabelas's here in Pa. It was last year, but I could find out if they have changed that.

I have had a dealer on Gun Broker not want to accept my C&R for a shotgun that he knew was eligable for it. He stated that he does not have the time to call and wait for their response on who's who on the license. I thought my drivers license was good enough for double proof.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is not my understanding Sam.....Utah recognizes any pre 1899 firearm that utilizes the ammunition that it was originally designed for..........so the question would be: what do you classify as modern ammunition....?????......

I have probably ten guns that were made pre 1899 and shoot ammuntion that is just as deadly as anything produced today and is still available over the counter, but were desinged and produced prior to 1899 and these are recognized by most states as antiques and can be bought and sold direct to the buyer......i.e.: 32-40, 38-55, .32 S & W Long, .22 rimfire, 45-70 U.S., 30-40 U.S., 44-40, 38-40, 30-30, 45-90 and the very long caliber list goes on and on, including all your shotgun bore sizes.....

There are Utah Gun Shops around here that sell pre 1899 guns without the NICS ATF requirement and also sell antiques over the internet without the FFL requirement. Picture I.D. is all that is required.

Some Northeastern states and maybe California that have their own state laws which clearly define an FFL as required FOR ANY GUN....overriding the Federal ATF Laws that are currently in place....

This topic comes up frequently as people misinterpret the ATF Regulations and FFL requirements......

As initially posted, I would say Cabela's folks are making their own rules or the floor people misinterpret the corporate rules (which is common in large stores, i.e. dummy 101).......I wouldn't do business with stores who don't understand the ATF Federal Laws and structure their business practices by these existing laws......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, CA recognizes Federal C&R rules EXCEPT for handguns, which require a regular FFL for transfer into CA from another state.

However, CA dealers and individuals often don't bother to read the regs (I have to admit it isn't an easy or fun task...) or, in the case of dealers, choose to interpret them to their own maximum financial benefit.

And there is a great deal of disinformation available, especially from big box sporting goods chain employees. On all topics--my special favorite is off-the-cuff "information" on reloading....my personal best was "Bullseye is an old powder that was developed to replace black powder volume for volume." I USUALLY keep my big mouth shut when listening to other people's business. Not that time.

Last edited by Mike A.; 04/03/12 03:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
my personal best was "Bullseye is an old powder that was developed to replace black powder volume for volume." I USUALLY keep my big mouth shut when listening to other people's business. Not that time.

I wonder how many people that dummy has blown up.....?.......Buy 'em books and send 'em to school and look what you get..... grin

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The E-Z Check system used by gun sellers does not work for C&R licenses. I use E-Z Check to verify the validity of ATF issued licenses. I don't know how I would verify a C&R.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A C&R licensee goes thru a background check just like anyone else who buys a firearm. The purpose of a C&R license is to permit the free trade of eligible firearms interstate as I assume you all know.
I suggest everyone send a letter to Cabelas Corporate offices pointing this out. I also don't know why you folks from places like California and New Jersey haven't bombarded the BATF and your Congressmen with complaints of their refusing to abide by C&R requirements.
The other problem is FFL regular license holders who spout the same B.S. and who look upon C&R licensee's as an eroding factor to their income.
IMO: If we don't start fighting for and insisting upon the rights granted to us as C&R holders these licenses will become worthless in short order.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, that is what he meant, he had to be on the phone checking on my C&R license number to verify information and he didn't want to be held on hold or most likely it would be next in queue.

David

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.