September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 418 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would never presume to tell a man what to do with his gun but there's nothing to prevent me from laughing. What else could you do at the sight of a 21 with the owner's name ported into the barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Future generations? Seems to me in 50 years there will be more than enough of all configurations available to satisfy the small population of shooters interested in unaltered classic/vintage doubles. Unfortunately, our values are in a small niche of the gun world that gets smaller each passing year.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with not modifying vintage guns to an extent but I've seen too many shooters show up with their Snooty & Snooty double from wherever, from whatever year, that they can't hit the broad side of a barn with because the damn thing doesn't fit worth a shit, or it's choked so tight it shoots like a laser beam. Oh I can't cut the stock I'll ruin it, I can't open the chokes I'll ruin it. Really? The whole reason these guns were made was to be shot, if they can't serve that purpose what's the point? It's great that they fit some 5'5" portly nobleman 120 years ago who shot poor quality shells but that really doesn't do you much good now does it? The amount of money some folks will spend on guns they can't shoot baffles me. Well at least it looks good. No wait, maybe it is better to wrap three ace bandages around that Parker so it's shootable, that's much more befitting of a vintage gun.

Porting on the other hand? No defense there.

Last edited by Glocksig; 04/19/12 10:18 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Glocksig
I agree with not modifying vintage guns to an extent but I've seen too many shooters show up with their Snooty & Snooty double from wherever, from whatever year, that they can't hit the broad side of a barn with because the damn thing doesn't fit worth a shit, or it's choked so tight it shoots like a laser beam. Oh I can't cut the stock I'll ruin it, I can't open the chokes I'll ruin it. Really? The whole reason these guns were made was to be shot, if they can't serve that purpose what's the point? It's great that they fit some 5'5" portly nobleman 120 years ago who shot poor quality shells but that really doesn't do you much good now does it? The amount of money some folks will spend on guns they can't shoot baffles me. Well at least it looks good. No wait, maybe it is better to wrap three ace bandages around that Parker so it's shootable, that's much more befitting of a vintage gun.

Porting on the other hand? No defense there.

I find that really interesting indeed and observe just the opposite........I watch a lot of people shooting vintage guns with all the recoil pads, stock extentions, new open choke borings, stock bending and fitting, special beads, special clothes, special glasses, lengthened chambers, shooting off the shelf ammo and all the other marketing b.s. items and those folks don't shoot any better than the folks without all that b.s.........but those type folks always blame the gun instead of the REAL problem......the shooter......

Generally the better the eyesight, the better the shooter......ever watch a young boy shoot with a gun that doesn't come close to fitting him and hit everything he shoots at...?

The old vintage guns all shoot very well IMO with the factory original and very common full and modified chokes & short chambers, if the guy behind the gun USES THE RIGHT AMMUNITION for it and knows how to (and will) reload.......but every new owner of a vintage gun seems to always know better HOW TO CHANGE THE GUN since the gun is the problem........if it doesn't fit you....DON'T BUY IT......

The old timers really shoot fabulous patterns with the original full and modified chokes and short chambers if the reloader uses the right wad cup and powder.......equivelent to what the guns were using when they were new with the addition of the wad cup which actually makes the patterns even better.....

If all the personal stock fitting and chokes and gadgets are so important, then buy a modern skeet gun with choke tubes, adjustable stock and knock yourself out.........you can't make a Ferrari out of a Model T Ford......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm of the camp that believes if it is owned by someone, he can do as he pleases with it.

This brings to mind some instances where real estate was purchased by private parties and they had plans to demo or remodel the properties, only to be stopped by people without a nickel invested by voting/pressuring etc., for regulation to "preserve" the property as 'historic', 'landmark' or some other such reason, all after someone had invested a huge amount of money. In one case that comes to mind, the party purchased a dwelling near the beach and was stopped from demo and building a new dwelling by "concerned citizens" at a city council meeting. Permits were withheld and the property declared a landmark or some such nonsense. The purchaser sued the city for the loss of value/utility by the declaration after his purchase.

So if some yahoo wants to saw the barrels off his old double that happens to be an Optimus, he has my support to chose to do so. I still would think him an idiot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
I take exception to your remarks about the third gun pictured, the one with the 2”s of recoil pad and spacers. It’s easy for a person with boringly normal physical body dimensions to shoot a gun right off the rack. I’m 6’4” (down from 6’5”s as a kid) and almost any gun I buy will eventually get at least a 1” recoil pad. However, being frugal I’ve learned to shoot the gun for a while with a slip-on extension to make certain I like it enough to go through the expense and bother of installing a recoil pad (and spacer if needed). I guess my problem with your remarks is that my favorite go-to upland gun is a super lightweight French SXS guild gun. The main problem with it is that when I purchased it some previous owner outfitted it with a 13.5” LOP. The butt of my favorite gun looks exactly like the one in your picture, I tolerate it because it now fits me perfectly, but I would’ve never added that recoil pad or extensions if it’d had a 15.5” LOP. My future plans are to have it restocked to fit me, however with the economy still tottering along and my being over 60 unemployed and considered a dinosaur by Corporate America that may never happen. However, if I ever sell it, and some below average height person wishes to buy it, I still have the original butt plate. However, it’s so light and kicks so hard, I doubt if a smaller person would ever want to shoot the thing.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately one of the conditions of democracy is suffering fools. Suffering them gladly is not required.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

I am 6'4" as well. I am sorry you had to buy a gun that someone adjusted by cutting. I have never bought a gun with a recoil pad or one that had any other metal or wood removal and I never will. I do not care to spend my money for other peoples adjustments. Too many nice uncut guns available.

The appearance of a recoil pad or extension looks to me just like what it is...an after thought........that is my opinion. Some people can deal with it and think they look good, others could care less either way, so be it......then again some people really dislike them and think they look like shit, so be it. Just the way it is Steve.

I use a slip on leather pad often, but remove it when I'm done shooting.....there are NO guns in my gun safe with recoil pads and never will be so that leaves more for the people who like them......I buy the guns that I like and you buy the guns that you like......if I see alterations I look no further......

I could care less what people do to their guns BTW, it just happens to be the topic here..........

It is probably a real bonus actually that folks butcher them up, because the result is that the value of the "uncut" guns of all types has gone through the roof.........

Gun owners have been doing this kind of stuff for a long time. As an example, look at all the nice old Winchester lever guns and bolt guns that have had extra holes drilled everywhere because the receiver sight salesman and all the sight ads did their job many years ago..............................everybody has an opinion on everything and that is as it should be......

Doug

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.