September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ArtLavely, SKB, Shotgunlover, 1 invisible), 481 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,932
Posts550,848
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have NO experience checkering but wornder if something along these lines could be addapted to your wants:
Florida Pneumatic FP-705 Air File
$135 online

Air inlet 1/4-Inch. Includes flat, round, triangular and bastard cut files. Great for tight access work and getting into corners

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an opinion: Wood is an organic material that NEVER cuts the same from stock to stock. Therefore a full depth checkering machine would become a liability instead of an asset. It is hard enough to not dig ditches with my MMC tool (after 23 years of checkering) on some stocks without NOT being able to go at it slowly down to depth.

This is fact: the only other checkering machine currently on the market is the NSK system devised and sold by J&R Engineering. The system is available in both electric motor or air powered motor. The price just went up April 1, 2012. John said so.....

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
This is an opinion: Wood is an organic material that NEVER cuts the same from stock to stock. Therefore a full depth checkering machine would become a liability instead of an asset. It is hard enough to not dig ditches with my MMC tool (after 23 years of checkering) on some stocks without NOT being able to go at it slowly down to depth.
I did not say that the tool needs to cut full depth in a single pass. I merely indicated that a rotary tool is incapable of making a full depth cut to the border; the radius of the cutter prevents that. One must finish the cut with a hand tool, and that takes a lot of time. A straight line tool, or a reciprocal tool with a large cutter radius would be capable of making a full depth cut right to the border, whereas a buzz-saw cutter wouldn't.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Carpetsahib, Many years ago I had my MMC tool overhauled by a company in Dallas,TX. They may be long gone now, but I'll see if I can locate an address or phone number for them.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for the misunderstanding. A straight line tool as you suggest may be a good item. I would have a question about how to keep the tool from lifting soft fibered wood out in uncontrolled chips at the junction of the border and lines end. I know that in engraving it is possible because metal structure is more dense.

An alternate method of bring the ends to depth is to use a veiner. James Tucker uses this method and is known for his work of excellence in this regard. It takes a VERY sharp veiner and a different angle at the tip to keep from having over runs...but it works. I have altered some bent files with blunted ends (60 and 90 degree) to accomplish the same thing. I pull them instead of push them at the ends so as to not leave overruns. I also have altered the guide on my MMC tool to allow the curved cutter to move further forward on my cut so that I don't have so far to bring to final depth.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, that would be great.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wish I had some movement to report, but Jon Doiron and J&R Engineering still have the cutters I sent to have sharpened and the money I sent with them, total about $300.I've written to be sure he has my address,Alvin Linden has threathened legal mayhem, and still the bastard won't respond.The Mass BBB gives him an F rating.He claims his tools are available from Midway and Woodcraft Supply, but I didn't see them on their websites.I have no further expectation of seeing either my tools or my money.When my present cutter dulls or my MMC machines gives up, I guess I'll go back to working entirely with hand tools.My strong advice is that if you're thinking about dealing with this guy, Don't. He's no good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill: I am sorry, no movement yet on my side either. You should contact the city of Athol [MA.], police authorities or the Worcester County [MA.] Prosecutor's office by phone. Speak to the appropriate person [just ask] and see if either of these entities can make a case against this joker for Theft by Deception or Theft by Conversion etc. I had a similar situation [e.g. one in Mississippi] where a D.A.'s Investigator went to an alleged gun builder's [Nick Vesa] home and basically told him, "pay this man what you owe him and return his guns, now or we are swearing out a warrant against you today!" It worked, I had my guns and money in a week. I will admit it didn't hurt any that I was a lawyer but usually these offices are responsive to cases of cons, operating in their jurisdiction [venue]. Try this and keep me posted. Good Luck! Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somebody used to sell a reciprocal tool (electric) for checkering the final small bit up close to the borders. It may even have been MMC.
I remember it being shown in GDigest(?)perhaps.

I just use a veiner with a swept back face for the job. I use the MMC to cut one pass in each direction and finish the pattern up with hand tools. It still saves alot of time over doing the complete job by hand.
I admit I have to watch the lines as I cut along with the MMC and every so often with a hand tool make sure I'm not starting to make arcs instead of straight lines.
Tedious work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're looking for more evidence of this guy's character, I sent him my check for $88 and an order for two hand tools, never rec'd them, I eventually send a Registered letter with a copy of my cnacelled check, yes, cancelled check. Letter finally came back refused. If I were in Mass I'd be in Small Claims with this deadbeat.

If anyone knows of someonew who makes carbide hand tools, I would love to hear of him.

Dennis Potter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.