Originally Posted By: Glocksig
I agree with not modifying vintage guns to an extent but I've seen too many shooters show up with their Snooty & Snooty double from wherever, from whatever year, that they can't hit the broad side of a barn with because the damn thing doesn't fit worth a shit, or it's choked so tight it shoots like a laser beam. Oh I can't cut the stock I'll ruin it, I can't open the chokes I'll ruin it. Really? The whole reason these guns were made was to be shot, if they can't serve that purpose what's the point? It's great that they fit some 5'5" portly nobleman 120 years ago who shot poor quality shells but that really doesn't do you much good now does it? The amount of money some folks will spend on guns they can't shoot baffles me. Well at least it looks good. No wait, maybe it is better to wrap three ace bandages around that Parker so it's shootable, that's much more befitting of a vintage gun.

Porting on the other hand? No defense there.

I find that really interesting indeed and observe just the opposite........I watch a lot of people shooting vintage guns with all the recoil pads, stock extentions, new open choke borings, stock bending and fitting, special beads, special clothes, special glasses, lengthened chambers, shooting off the shelf ammo and all the other marketing b.s. items and those folks don't shoot any better than the folks without all that b.s.........but those type folks always blame the gun instead of the REAL problem......the shooter......

Generally the better the eyesight, the better the shooter......ever watch a young boy shoot with a gun that doesn't come close to fitting him and hit everything he shoots at...?

The old vintage guns all shoot very well IMO with the factory original and very common full and modified chokes & short chambers, if the guy behind the gun USES THE RIGHT AMMUNITION for it and knows how to (and will) reload.......but every new owner of a vintage gun seems to always know better HOW TO CHANGE THE GUN since the gun is the problem........if it doesn't fit you....DON'T BUY IT......

The old timers really shoot fabulous patterns with the original full and modified chokes and short chambers if the reloader uses the right wad cup and powder.......equivelent to what the guns were using when they were new with the addition of the wad cup which actually makes the patterns even better.....

If all the personal stock fitting and chokes and gadgets are so important, then buy a modern skeet gun with choke tubes, adjustable stock and knock yourself out.........you can't make a Ferrari out of a Model T Ford......

Doug