June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, dukxdog), 258 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,622
Posts547,087
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Beautiful work Doug. For anyone interested I found my bookmark for a M94 polishing tutorial put online by Jack Belk 11 years ago. Hope it stays up.

Belk Tutorial

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Rob....

The thread you posted is a good one for anyone interested in hand polishing a lever gun frame. I noticed he didn't pull the barrel, which I always do first.

Thanks for posting.

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's not the barrel, that's a spud he inserts with flats to be held in a vise, it's mentioned in picture #17.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Rob, guess I didn't read far enough....I use an old junk barrel for the same purpose......

He does a good job for sure.......

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Belk's an interesting story. He did some great work but has gotten a lot of flack for being a paid consultant against Remington in the M700 trigger AD issue.

Look at some of his other albums, there some nice stuff there about bolt handles, polishing Mausers...

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Long ago, Belk sent me some short instructions on polishing and rust bluing. They were very helpful and I really appreciated them. Still do.

I like the guy, but he sure has become a pariah in Electroland, where the arguments against him are about as ignorant and stupid as any I've seen.

I wish him luck.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've had one AD in my life and it was when I took the safety off a 700. Scared me and a guide but muzzle was in a safe direction. I agree with you about his treatment, whether he's right or wrong he doesn't deserve it.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very nice hand polishing job on the link, but if you're doing a factory style restoration, most all the grit lines would be running the wrong way.
Should be verticle on the sides and accross the width of the frame on the top and bottom surfaces.
The bolt should be polished accrossed it too, not length wise.

The pump gun frames (12 &42) are the same (verticle) on the sides.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been reading that guns fro this era that have never been used, literally New In Box, have had all the blue flake off the receiver as a result of the nickel content of the steel. This leads me to wonder if just the receiver was refinished and the rest left as is.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester using Nickel Steel for the 1894 frames is pure bunk.

For years I had heard that, and read it in at least one book, but it always bothered me that the supposed nickel steel frames didnt exhibit the characteristics of nickel steel. I finally had a few frames tested; pre 1900 to mid 30s, .The nickel content is way too low to be considered Nickel Steel.

The flaking on those frames is a result of the bluing process that Winchester used at the time; carbonia bluing. Winchester realized early on that the bluing would flake if not done properly, and used a small inspection stamp to check the bluing.

The polish marks on the frame should be North-South, and a Kutter brought up, the polishing lines near the rear the rear radius should match that angle.

Polishing old Winchesters to match the original polish is extremely difficult to do correctly, for a couple of reasons: Winchesters polishing heads were mad of walrus hide, fairly difficult to get this day and age. The polishing heads were radiused to match the surface that was being polished, so for any one model you would need a dozen or so polishing heads.

V/R

Mike

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.