June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (skeettx, Ted Schefelbein), 184 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,232
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Pete, there's a good bit more difference between spoken Flemish and standard Dutch than there is between French spoken in France vs Belgian. Difference enough that, on TV programs using informal speech, they subtitle the Flemish into Dutch if it's broadcast in the Netherlands, and vice versa (Dutch into Flemish) for broadcast into Belgium. That does not happen with French. And the Parisians get picky about lots of stuff, but we're talking mainly accent rather than a very different vocabulary--sort of like NY City to Texas. The French spoken in Quebec, especially away from Montreal-Quebec City . . . then you get some more significant differences. But Cajun French is even worse.

I served with a Military Intelligence officer who was Dutch. He took the Army language tests in Flemish and Afrikaans as well.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/02/12 06:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 20 years ago I sat on the porch of a building on the banks of the big swamp near Lafeayette Louisanna (forget how to spell the swamp name) chating with retired Cajun propietor awaiting a swamp tour done by his son. Within a period of about 10-15 minutes 4 couples arrives, all appearing to be in their 20's. In each case the lady of the pair said Bon-Jour & nothing else. The old Cajun identified each one as being from Paris; France but not Paris (Lyon as I recall; Belgium & finally French Canadian. All from the way they said Bon-Jour.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, In English, I can pick up the difference between someone from the East Coast, Ontario, Ontario (Ottawa Valley), Manitoba and farther west. And that's just in Canada. Add the US and the UK and Ireland and we have a lot of different accents and a few dialects.

I don't even speak French but I can hear the difference between a French speaker and a Quebecois.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years back--in Medora, ND of all places--I met a young lady working in a motel who was bilingual. One parent French, the other American. Lived in France until she was a teenager, at which time her father's job took them to Quebec. She told me that it took her some time to catch much of what her schoolmates said, when they were speaking at a normal speed.

I took high school French students to Quebec on a couple of occasions, spent about a week there. The disturbing thing to me was that when I came home, I'd hear a bit of the Quebecois accent in my own French.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I can pick up a lot of different "lingos" from across the US also. However for such precise location it usually takes me a bit more than just Good Day.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, accept my apology. It was late last night and I had had a long day and it wasn't until after I hit the post button that I realized your point was based on the brief two words uttered by the old gentleman.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was born in Wisconsin, as a young boy I lived in south Florida, then moved to and lived all over the Chicago area. After high school I spent 6 years going to school in Southern Illinois. By the time I was out in the working world my speach was such a mixture of different regional accents that people always had a difficult time picking out where I grew up.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hell I am still working on English. smile

My North Texas accent is heavy influenced by my Dad who was from West Tennessee, especially in word choice.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

canvasback;
No apoplogy necessary. It did just amaze me though how quickly this older gentleman was able to correctly state where all 4 of those couples were from by just those two words.
My wife came from Southern Illinois so I'm usually pretty good at picking up when someone is from there. Other places not as quick. I suppose though this gentleman had met a lot of folks & had practised some previously, particularly for those speaking French.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
Hell I am still working on English. smile

My North Texas accent is heavy influenced by my Dad who was from West Tennessee, especially in word choice.

I once knew a guy who had an Austin accent atop his childhood Chicaaaaago. Oy. Almost as scary as one of my platoon sergeants, who spoke German with a Puerto Rican accent. Germans would hear him talk and shake their heads like they were full of bees.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.