Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Hugh Lomas
I have in my shop a Greener FH35 that appears to have escaped the hardening process entirely. Either that or every part of it was annealed and left soft. The gun has obviously given years of good service and is still mechanically sound. Unfortunately all the engraved surfaces are worn down to the point of being barely discern able. Action, fore end iron, trigger plate top lever Deeley latch, trigger guard. It seems none the worse for wear but this seems to reinforce the argument that Hardening was more to protect the aesthetics rather than contribute strength.
Any budding engravers need a project??

My sentiments exactly and we're still springing along....

A friend has a Birmingham 16 gauge singleshot hammergun. It was loose when he bought it. He sent it to a gunsmith both he and I consider to be very good. The gunsmith tightened it. My friend took it hunting and fired a few shots. It was loose again. Back to the gunsmith, gunsmith fixed it, back to my friend, no charge. Again my friend shot it a few times and it went loose. Back to the gunsmith. After investigation the gunsmith said that the frame was soft and had been improperly heat treated (after it left the maker) or had never been case hardened and wanted to have it case hardened so it would be springy. My friend, tighter than the proverbial bark-on-a-tree, declined and after the last tightening quit shooting it.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/07/12 11:16 AM.

I am glad to be here.