Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
fox advertised chromox as chrome nickel vanadium alloy steel but i've never seen the percentages quoted. those who own fox guns should be proud to know fox was way ahead of competing makers in using alloy steel starting 1912 with the 16 and 20 gauge guns. that was years before winchester did the same with its m21. those interested in the winchester's comparison of its alloy steel, properly heat treated, and the same steel case hardened, should refer to that testing in schwand's 21 book. suffice to say the heat treated alloy was way stronger than the same steel, case hardened. now back to bbman's dilemna. he probably has a chromox small gauge receiver, what's he to do now that its annealed? what say our resident metallurgists and mech e's?

Ned Schwing's book on the Model 21 and his discussion of the steel used in Model 21 frame manufactrugin has nothing to do with Fox shotguns. The Chromox and Krupp steels referred to in Fox manufacturing were for the barrels and not the frame. Winchester specifciations for the Model 21 and Fox specifications have nothing to do with each other.
Fox recievers continued to be of mild steel and required case hardening while Winchster recievers were manufactured of high tensile steel requiring no surface (case) hardening which resulted in Winchester recievers being blued and Fox case hardened.
I could not find my copy of McIntosh's bok on the Fox but I don't remember ever having read documented results for receiver steel used.-Dick