"Case hardening has nothing to due with 'yield point' if your are referring to the point where steel in tension trasisitions from elastic to plastic deformation."

Case hardening increases the yield point of the case hardened metal.

My Marks "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" is at the office but it states that case hardening increases the yield point, which is the point (stress) at which steel plastically deforms and gives examples of different results for different case hardening specifications.

"I have never heard of a calculation like that?"

Dick if you will look at the sentence I quoted from Rocketman I was trying to counter his point about the relatively small cross sectional area of the case hardened metal compared to the total cross-sectional area in regard to the plastic bending of the action. I think Rocket was arguing that the small percentage of the case hardened steel is not enough to change the plastic bending point of the receiver. I wasn't arguing for the math model but against it.

Thanks for the comments. I have learned much on this thread.

Mike

Edit: "My Marks "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" is at the office but it states that case hardening increases the yield point, which is the point (stress) at which steel plastically deforms and gives examples of different results for different case hardening specifications." is incorrect. It does not say what I wrote in this post.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/09/12 03:12 PM.

I am glad to be here.