June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (KY Jon, Stanton Hillis, Dan R), 164 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,152
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#281399 06/13/12 08:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am going to be in Philadelphia for a week or two on business. However, if anyone has suggestions of "things" to see such as neat gunshops, shotgun ranges , museums etc , please note it in a reply.

Thanks,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gotta go by the Fox factory...everything else is a time filler.

Get a sandwich at Pat's and another at Geno's and let us know what you think...

11F Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Other than the cheese steak advice (I like Pat's but prefer Geno's), I would disagree with CH on the travel tips. The days of walking the aisles of E.K. Tryon & Co are gone, there are no really good gunstores in Philly or even near Philly but Independence Hall, the new Constitution Center and the fabulous Philadelphia Art Museum are musts. Elfreth's Alley and a walk through Old City and Adm. Dewey's flagship, the USS Olympia are worthwhile. The busy Italian Market is something to see as well. Philadelphia is full of great restaurants from "old school" Italian to the most trendy. If you are of a historical bent, The City Tavern might interest you with its pretty authentic colonial era menu. If you like baseball, Citizen's Bank Park is a very nice venue to watch the beloved (but currently hurting) Phillies. If you like exotic cars Dr. Simeone's museum down near the airport is first rate. It's not Torrance or even El Segundo but it's not a bad old town.

Last edited by 11F; 06/14/12 07:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 11F
...It's not Torrance or even El Segundo but it's not a bad old town.

grin The wife and I have driven over to Philly from her sis' NJ home half a dozen times with her niece and nephew to see some of those places you mentioned. I agree there's more to see than in Torrance...El Segundo...well that's a toss up. wink

Not to start sandwich range war, but I was really disappointed in both Pat's and Geno's. We ordered the classic version at both joints and split them. They weren't bad, just nothing to get excited about. I think I can find a better "Philly cheesesteak" sammie in a lot of other places.

Last edited by Chuck H; 06/14/12 09:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't miss the cruiser "Olympia" moored along the riverfront, a beautiful little ship. Gives you a small sense of what TR's "Great White Fleet" must have been like.

My grandfather saw her in Manila Bay just after she helped trash the Spanish Far East fleet. Their flagship was still smoldering junk when he arrived.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went there once and they showed me a bell with a crack in it. The Whitechapel Foundry where it was cast is still in business. I did inquire if they still had the original receipt and that if so maybe they could get a replacement sent out. Seems they like it just the way it is! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of little mom-and-pop joints off the beaten path who are doing their darnedest to unseat Pat's and Geno's, and mostly succeeding. A few icy cold Yuengling's to wash them down, and you won't care anymore!

Avoid The Franklin Mint unless you're a tourist. It's, well, touristy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
I went there once and they showed me a bell with a crack in it. The Whitechapel Foundry where it was cast is still in business. I did inquire if they still had the original receipt and that if so maybe they could get a replacement sent out. Seems they like it just the way it is! Lagopus.....

The taste of poor quality lives on forever... grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

A big "second" to the Philadelphia Art Museum. The "Rocky" steps, a fabulous wing full of impressionist paintings on the first floor, and an exhibit of high-end engraved medieval armor on the second.

Don't miss it, I could spend days there and have. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually I quite enjoyed it there. I picked up a few white oak and red oak acorns from Independence Square. The red oaks failed but the white oaks took and now they are growing in the grounds of a local English stately home. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.