Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Daryl:

That is a nice picture of a Capercaille (the world's largest grouse)even though it probably was your snapshot rather that a set-up.

This is the same species that adorns the engraving of many old German and Austrian stalking rifles, combination guns, and drillings because small bore rifle was a preferred method of harvest during spring displays in the late 19th century there.

I have a friend that went to Russia a few years ago expressly for Capercaille, and he shot a male with a 12 ga. turkey load as it displayed and "crowed" up in a tree. There his guide's name for it translated as the "two step" bird because each time the male crows at dawn you can take two big strides in their direction until you get within range. Otherwise their acute hearing usually has them flush wild.

Two big conservation issues for this species are forest mismanagement and, interestingly, livestock fences. The birds collide with some of the many wire fences strung across the landscape from Scotland to Russia to contain sheep, cattle and goats. The same issue has recently been identified for Sage-grouse, another large but not very nimble grouse, here in the U.S.

Regards,
Ben

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note to the enthusiastic, Capercaillie are wonderful to eat, IF YOU LIKE THE TASTE OF TURPENTINE!!!
They diet on Pine needles.
If you want to shoot them use a Canon.
Or any other camera.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was surprised the Capercaillie pictures I took turned out as well as they did. I think I got 6 pics, but all were through the windshield, as I was driving when it showed itself. A friend may have taken some pics out the side window, without glass. If so, I'll see if he has better ones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Note to the enthusiastic, Capercaillie are wonderful to eat, IF YOU LIKE THE TASTE OF TURPENTINE!!!
They diet on Pine needles.
If you want to shoot them use a Canon.
Or any other camera.

It doesn't look like it would taste good. Pine needles? Like drinking a gin and tonic. Yeech

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a spruce grouse when I first went hunting in Canada.
Tasted exactly like Pine Sol ans stank up the kitchen
Same diet as the Capercaillie then.
Never shot another.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Mike Bonner.
Reminds me of the friend who mistakenly drank a bottle of stock finishing oil thinking it was Brown Ale.
He died a terrible death but had a wonderful finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now THATS funny!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have eat this bird many times and never taste it like turpentine. In Finland they eat pine needles only in winter when we normaly canīt shoot them. In sveden it is allowed.
In autumn when those birds normaly hunted they eat mostly berries which is very easy to notice when finding doodoo of them. When knowing that diet itīs very easy to imagine that bird tastes very good when beeing shot at right time of the year.

Last edited by Igorrock; 06/29/12 11:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Igorrock, that's interesting. I have had some good spruce grouse and ptarmigan meals by cooking the breast meat like schnitzel.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.