1922 Fox SW, A. Ilsley, 1949 Ithaca M37R, 1959 Ithaca M37, Win. M12 1959.

Gene Hill Shotgunner's Notebook "The Sixteen-Still Sweet"

"If I were to sit down and make a list of what might be the ideal requirements for an upland gunner's shotgun, my idea would include a few facts and a few fancies. An ounce of shot ought to be enough, and 2 1/2 drams of powder plenty to propel it. That dictates a gun that weighs no more than six or six-and-a-half pounds; light enough to carry, quick enough to swing, yet with enough weight to have an essential momentum for smoothness and to take the bite from the recoil.

Another essential of my upland gun is that it appeal to the eye as well as to the hand. A straight or half-pistol grip, a delicate slimness to the receiver and barrels, and one or two triggers, depending on your preference. No harm in a bit of engraving to relieve the eye and add a touch of distinction, and we could carry this a bit further and checker the end of the buttstock or fit a skeleton bit of metal for protection against wear and handling. And what would we have? That almost-forgotten darling of a few generations past: the 16-gauge."