Wow. I had no idea so many utilitarians here.

In response to the question put to me, you can read Locke. You can also some of the early philosophers. Thomas Paine in " The Rights of Man" describes "natural rights". But Paine is also a bit tenditious. For us, why not start a bit closer to home?

I suggest that you look at Jefferson in his reasonably famous work, in which he appeals to an understanding of "natural rights, which he refers to as " Inalienable Rights". I am of course referring to the Declaration of Independence. You have read it perhaps?

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Or did ya'll just not have 8th grade Civics up there in Yankee Land?

On a broader front, though, I think a working definition of natural right is one which requires no positive action by another.

My right of free speech exists in a state of nature, and requires no positive action by anyone, and i need command no action by anyone else. My right to bear arms, same thing. It just "is". Men had the right and ability to acquire and bear arms absent any social interaction of any sort. And it flows directly from the "Right to Life" - as my "right to Life" is absolutely meaningless if I do not have an effective means to defend my life.

Right to trial by jury, on the other hand, is NOT a natural right, as it requires the co-option and cooperation of others in order for me to enjoy that right. That, by the way, doesnt mean it is not important, merely that it is not natural.

Regards

GKT

Last edited by Greg Tag; 03/01/07 11:08 AM.

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."