October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (mark), 230 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,958
Posts551,216
Members14,462
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#28828 03/02/07 10:24 AM
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I promised that I would relate my experience with my Lion Country Supply Ugartechea as soon as the issues were resolved. It doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon, so I am posting my experiences now and looking for advice.

I bought a grade II Ugartechea from LCS as a Christmas present for myself. I was very happy with it. Very light and quick handling. The wood was nothing special but decent, dark color and some figure - better wood than some other Ugartecheas I have seen.

However, when I shot it for the first time after Christmas I discovered that the safety was defective. It was resetting automatically between shots from recoil. I thought "no big deal," and immediately sent it back to LCS for warranty repair.

LCS had it for about 4 weeks (which seemed a little long to me -- shipping only takes a day since I am only 3 hours away).

When they sent the gun back to me the safety was incredibly stiff and rough. To give you an idea, in comparison it made the safety on my Remington Spartan feel like it was made by Purdey. I could not reliably move the safety with gloves on, and my wife could barely budge it. Needless to say, it was entirely unacceptable. It was also very rough feeling, not smooth like it was when I first got the gun.

In addition when the gun came back it had scratches on the butt of the stock. Oviously someone was careless handling my gun. On top of the poor safety repair, I was very steamed.

I wanted a new gun, but they did not have any on hand. I considered asking for my money back immediately but there are no other good options at that price point for a SXS, so I told LCS to take one more shot at fixing the safety on the condition that if I was not happy for any reason they would order me a new one or refund my money. So, back to LCS goes the gun.

Again it took about four weeks and I got a call from LCS saying they had my gun back from the gunsmith. I asked them to tell me how the safety was. The gentleman confessed that it really wasn't any different than before. He said it was pretty stiff. (I could actually hear the loud "clang" noise the safety was making over the phone.) I asked him to compare the safety with the other Uggies on the shelf and he said that the ones on the shelf were considerably smoother. I told him not to bother sending it back.

So, now I have to decide what to do. My options are:

(1) order a new Grade II from Spain in the configuration I want (full and mod chokes), which will take about 6 months and, since LCS will consider it a special order I will not be able to return if I don't like the wood or the wood to metal fit is not nice; or

(2) get my money back and find something different. Unfortunately there is not much new I can get in that price range and I am not real keen on buying used. I can spend half as much for a low end Turk, or twice as much for an AYA or maybe a Chapuis. In the middle I think my only other options are an HK Fabarm or a Weatherby D'Italia, but when I was shopping in December I compared both of these with the Ugartechea and was not impressed -- they both lacked the grace of the Uggie.

So, what do you all think?

BTW, I should note that while I was very dissatisfied with the "repair" work, the folks at LCS have been easy to deal with. Unfortunately, in this instance they are only as good as their smith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can not think of a good reason that the safety can not be repaired. If its just stiff. I think you or they need to find a better gunsmith

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like they need a new smith.

In that price range, IMO, the very best deals are used. Sounds like you're not looking for a vintage gun, but if I were you, I'd get my money back and check out the postwar used market. Something like maybe a Sauer or a Bernardelli, if you want to stay away from Spanish guns but prefer the classic "game gun" configuration.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

get your money back and watch for a good quality Brit Boxlock that has been nitro proved. You will be much happier, for little or no more money. They are out there.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't sound like he likes the idea of buying used. If he does find a Brit, the next step is having a good 'smith (not the one working on the safety of the Uggie) inspect it. Then, alter the stock, strip and clean would be good, thinning barrel blue attended to, etc-See why he wants new?
Maybe he should see what else LCS has in stock. If they don't have a thing similar to what he bought for Christmas, throw the dice on a custom order. Get everything in writing and go from there.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also suggest you get a refund. Sounds like their 'smith has buggered up an otherwise nice gun. I would also encourage your checking into good used guns. A little proper use doesn't really harm a well built double, and they will last many decades if given reasonable care. I think the very best buys for some time have been in used German doubles, particularly some of the post war offerings from J P Sauer that are showing up on the market. Don't just automatically rule out a used gun. On the other hand, a properly put together Ugartechea should last many decades also, so maybe a different dealer and different inventory might be in order.

There's a V. Bernardelli Hemingway 20ga. on GunsAmerica right now for $1250 - a superb little grouse gun at a very reasonable price, IMHO.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get your money back. Save your money and buy a better line of gun as many have suggested.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure how much you spent or the guage- but how about one of Tonys 20ga guns built right here in the USA? Paul

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I too also, would get a refund. But..........why look at a Brummie gun? Theres good American doubles to be had. Look at the Sterlingworth devrep has on here. Nice high condition Phily gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.