June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 296 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,619
Posts547,092
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

He just hates when I disrespect Obama... what could that mean... hmmmmm.

We didn't need a drought to wipe out pheasants here. We have something worse. We have the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

TwiceBarrel - yep a few human beings seems insignificant. But a tiny handful of people in a few thousand years reduced North and South America's large mammal fauna from diversity resembling modern Africa to the vestige we have left today. And that with just spears, bows and fire. Now we are up to seven billion, heading toward ten, and most of the earth and the oceans have been been massively degraded.

Raimey - not sure what you mean by three years of data. All datasets going back hundreds of thousand of years consistently show the same patterns - there is more CO2 than ever, and it is hotter than it has been as far back as the data go.

But what do all those pointy-headed scientists know compared to Rush and the oil companies?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is not more CO2 in the air then ever. There have been numerous periods when the CO2 was higher then todays levels. One of them being during an Ice Age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Man is contributing to the decline of some game bird populations, to be sure, but not by increasing the amount of CO2, or causing weather extremes. It is by destroying the birds' habitat to build more d----d parking lots, malls and sports complexes.

Over 3,000,000 acres of farmland are lost every year to urban sprawl. That's 5.7 acres a minute for you folks in Berkeley. How much of that you reckon is game bird habitat?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Laugh all you want about my earlier post. We all need a laugh. People do cause pollution. Are greenhouse gases a problem? I do not know. But too many people could be. Did man cause this drought. Blame it on Bush if you want to or me if you wish. But it is very, very dry on my farms.

I own three farms with over 700 acres in corn, in drought conditions and without a heck of a lot of irrigation it would not yield 20 bushels to the acre. I do not farm them but do have a share of the yield. The contrast between where it is watered and where it does not reach is stark. Those without water will be hard pressed or ruined.

But I worry more about next year and those which follow than any one year. In my lifetime the population has gone from less than two billion to over seven billion. And in my potential lifetime it will top ten billion. Food production has gone up but not by five times. Population is out of control and that bothers me more than Climate Change. It can not go up forever and the future looks grim.

If farmers are forced to plant every acre to feed more people where will our CPR come from? You may have birds this year but will you next or in ten years? Do you think pheasants or any other game will do better with no CPR, no cover and no edge cover? Game birds live in what to many is surplus land. There will be no surplus land if you have to feed ten billion people.

People need to eat and farmers must make a profit so I do not blame them. I do not get caught up in the debate about Global warming and is it real. Climate changes over time or there never would have been an Ice Age, or a mini Ice Age a few hundred years ago. It gets hotter or dryer over time and then the trend reverses. But never before have we had to feed seven billion or ten in the next 40 years. All types of wildlife will suffer to feed ten billion. Perhaps to the point that hunting wild birds of any type becomes a thing of the past. That is a sad thought.

LGF #288637 08/09/12 11:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF

Raimey - not sure what you mean by three years of data. All datasets going back hundreds of thousand of years consistently show the same patterns - there is more CO2 than ever, and it is hotter than it has been as far back as the data go.

Say we have been collecting atmospheric data for 100 years, so show me data for 100 million years & we'll talk. Who can say this has not occurred prior; what was it like before the dinosaur's demise. Tell me about the cooling period just before the War of Northern Aggression. The magnetic poles will change and so might the title angle, so have the poles experienced their greatest weight and are not shifting back to nominal weights? Who knows as we just do not have enough data to speculate. Speculate we can, but to develop a model and predict the future we cannot. The data is much over sampled as 1000 years of date, albeit more like 100 years or cycles, is pale in comparison to the required 100 million years.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just looked and it appears we have been keeping atmospheric data for some 150 years. I monitor subsidence & upheaval of the crust from time to time and if we could produce atmospheric data from the glacier's retreat would be a start. 150 years of data vs. however long one things the blue marble has been spinning is the core of the debate.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

During the Carboniferous period, roughly 300 million years ago, the atmosphere was far richer in CO2 than it is today. The average temperatures were far higher at that time than they are today.

The earth spent 20 million years as a complete ball of ice. It has had its surface completely covered by water, with no land whatsoever fr periods of millions of years.

The earth is a work in progress. It changes. The fauna and flora contribute to that change. Including man. Our time here as civilized humans is but a millisecond in the earth's lifespan. I think KY Jon is on the right track talking about population and food.

The issue of global warming is a phoney issue. It may be happening but efforts to stop it are a foolish waste of time. We should be adapting.....

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

But who was taking the readings in the previous 100 million period, some Al Gore predecessor, who had the internet in mind? We just do not know. Ground truth is most needed we cannot predict the next 100 years with 150 years of data; absurd.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

So everyone here in North America had a mild winter, and it was the hottest July on record, I just hope that Al Gore's theory on Global warming isn't true because I would hate to see him right on anything he has ever said.

David

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.