June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 317 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,619
Posts547,092
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will be happy to send anyone in need of rain, some of the daily rain we have been wading through here in Maine the last week or so.

PM me with your address.

Now, I have to go and clean some more mildew off my shoes.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is switchgrass, Gnomon.

We're getting loads of rain, too, now. But, it just started in the couple weeks. We have had so many dry summers here that almost no one plants dryland corn anymore. If it's not under pivots it is just not planted. When corn shot up in price several years ago, so did fertilizer and seed prices. Few can afford to gamble what it costs to grow an acre of corn to see it burn up.

Corn is eight dollars on the CBOT, but that won't last, I predict. All ethanol plants are losing money at these prices, and chicken growers, too. High prices will cure high prices as demand drops.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"
The idea behind ethanol, however, was not strictly economic. It also focused on energy independence. In other words, not counting on unreliable foreign sources to keep providing us with oil. By creating an ethanol industry, we now have the capability of making at least some of the fuel on which our vehicles run, should there be a problem with the supply of oil. It is certainly not THE answer to energy independence, but it's one aspect of moving us in that direction."

There happens to be more than a 'Saudi Arabia' in the western states that the 'greenies' in Washington won't let us touch.

2holer #288861 08/12/12 09:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fair enough, so far as it goes, but the result starts to turn out to be that we can starve while stuck in traffic while driving to no place special.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Fair enough, so far as it goes, but the result starts to turn out to be that we can starve while stuck in traffic while driving to no place special.

Eh.....OK...?????

Sidelock
Sidelock

I won't be surprised if corn hits $10/bu this year. Much of the crop across the Midwestern "corn belt" got cooked in the heat and drought this summer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the uses of ethanol is as a substitute for MBTE which is an anti-detonation or anti-knock compound. Wikipedia article implies that un-subsidized ethanol can't compete with MBTE. I believe MBTE replaced lead in gasoline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBTE

"MTBE is a gasoline additive, used as an oxygenate to raise the octane number. Its use is controversial in the US and declining in that country in part because of its occurrence in groundwater and legislation favoring ethanol. Worldwide production of MTBE has been constant at about 18 million tons/y (2005) owing to growth in Asian markets which are less subject to ethanol subsidies."

Not advocating or endorsing anything.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/12/12 12:05 PM.

I am glad to be here.
L. Brown #288893 08/12/12 01:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I won't be surprised if corn hits $10/bu this year. Much of the crop across the Midwestern "corn belt" got cooked in the heat and drought this summer.

Speaking as a farmer who grows corn to sell to the market every year, it would probably be a bad thing. $10 corn would cause many end users to go broke and close their doors, reducing the demand so badly that it might take years to recover.

It probably won't go that high, anyway. The USDA August 10 crop report, that the market was anxiously awaiting, contained no news concerning the crop that the market did not already know. The market was down after the report, indicating that the news of the drought is old news now, and that most of the considerations for it has already been factored into the market.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, what's milo running per bushel? Last year was high enough but I'm sure it will be even higher this year. Fortunately, still have 3000 lbs left over from last season. Supplemental feeding quail hunting courses isnt cheap...

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
That is switchgrass, Gnomon...

SRH

thanks Stan- had a neuron black-out!

According to a Scientific American article some time ago switchgrass ethanol returns about 5 times the energy needed to produce it.

Not too bad if true

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.